Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Bolt Knob opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 12:36 PM
Silver Member

Bolt Knob opinions

Getting ready to do some mods to a new 700 XCR Compact Tactical and I was just wondering what everybody thinks about adding a Tactical Bolt Knob? I'm going to use this one mostly for coyote hunting. I'm impressed with the finish on this rifle.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:41 PM
Silver Member

Re: Bolt Knob opinions

I like mine. Seems to make cycling faster. And, most importantly....it looks cool. Haha.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:31 PM
Silver Member

Tactical Bolt Knobs overrated and -priced.
Get a standard ball knob like this, they work and cost only the threading needed.
You should be able to obtain one in any machine shop.
I didn't find an American online shop selling them, so you have to search the net a bit, if you don't know anyone working in machining or similar.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:41 PM
Platinum Member

There are always pro's & con's when modifying your rig & adding a "tactical" or oversized bolt knob is no different. Here's how I see it:

Pro's:
Does assist with bolt manipulation as it usually makes the lever longer.
Easier to "find' as you're observing through the scope

Con's:
Some of them stick WAY out there, making it possible to snag on things you don't want it to.
Can be a real PITA when you carry the rifle slung over your shoulder, the knob can dig into your back/side.

If you're looking for an easy route, I was able to install one of these myself:
TACTICAL BOLT KNOB CONVERSION - Brownells

t

Old 10-09-2012, 11:19 PM
Gold Member

On a true hunting/carry rifle. I would avoid anything to large. They snag and dig into your back as stated in previous posts. Round is normally best. On a bench gun or heavy rig go for it.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:24 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13point View Post
Getting ready to do some mods to a new 700 XCR Compact Tactical and I was just wondering what everybody thinks about adding a Tactical Bolt Knob? I'm going to use this one mostly for coyote hunting. I'm impressed with the finish on this rifle.
Check out Twistedbarrel.com, that guy has a huge selection of knobs that he makes. I have one of his smaller aluminum knobs on my newest rifle and love it. For the record, I will never own another rifle with a plain Remmy knob, once I started using oversize knobs I can't go back. And by oversize I mean larger than stock but not too large.