Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Blaser R93 rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2011, 03:23 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Blaser R93 rifle

Will a gunsmith be able to reproduce the raceway for Blaser radial locking? Or would your threaded in barrel stop short of this section?

It'd be a sweet if you could pull it off
Old 07-05-2011, 01:49 AM
Bronze Member

I don't know the details of how they actually do it, but I know of 3 gunsmiths that do this work here (one of them constructed the 22LR kit for Blaser).

If is as good as the factory barrels I'll be using Lothar Walther blanks. Will most likely get a 1:8 6mm or 1:9 7mm and chamber it for "something". I want to try the 6mm 105gr Amax and 7mm 162gr Amax. Today I use the 6,5mm 123gr Amax and previously the 140gr Amax.

It has proven itself as a very good deer bullet for me.

Link to my shooting and hunting films
http://www.youtube.com/user/sierra645?feature=mhee
Old 07-05-2011, 07:46 PM
Gold Member

I had the opportunity to shoot one while out with a couple of buddies while doing some long range tuning. I just shook my head when this guy started to swap out barrels/scopes. I thought "aint no way in hell he is even going to be on paper once he switches all that crap" (he was shooting at 100yds at the time). To my sheer amazement it was really close. He changed from .308win to 300 win mag in just a couple of minutes. Now, was it a true tack-driver? Not really. Was it accurate enough to hunt deer sized animals inside 500yds? You better believe it! I am not going to sell half of whats in my safe to own one plus the barrels and scopes needed for a swap. I didn't like the bulky safety, and I found that if the bolt handle isn't really pushed forward it will not fire. I would be super pissed if I missed a trophy animal because I didn't get the bolt pushed hard enough forward after cycling a round. For those who haven't shot one, I believe you would be impressed, as I was. I could still walk his dog with my Savage bolt gun at any distance, but there was not a huge change in POI as one might think. Just my .02.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:22 AM
Bronze Member

Here's another video that highlights another desirable feature in the Blaser - fast reload.

‪sierra645's Channel‬‏ - YouTube

Link to my shooting and hunting films
http://www.youtube.com/user/sierra645?feature=mhee
Old 03-02-2012, 11:25 PM

LOL ........ I shoot 500m fly comps with my LRS 2 in 6mm Norma BR and I see blokes with full fly rifles, well down the list from me.
You really need to try one, to answer your questions, or better still spend a couple days with one.
Everything the factory said was true ..... And then some.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roe View Post
Bixn-Andy - Laufwechsel

This guy makes custom barrels on Border blanks. If the quality is like the replacement trigger he makes it should be very good. BUT this custom job comes with a searing pricetag so it is out of the question for me. His trigger was worth every Euro though...

I too want slightly different twists/ calibres. My solution will be to cut and thread in a new blank in my old barrel when it is shot out. It will not cost more than a normal rebarrel job.
Roe, love your you tube vid's.
I would be very interested to hear how your gunsmith goes with the cutting and re-clambering of your old Blaser barrel.
When I have swapped barrels on my rifles, and given them a knock, they positively RING. There steel is harder than the hobs of hell. ( Australian saying ).
I suppose anything can be cut with the right tooling, or an EMD machine ? But getting an acceptable finish would be the trick.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:52 AM
Silver Member

Christi and I both have R93s that we loved UNTIL we wanted longer tubes & faster twists for LRH. IF, IF this "rethreading" technique is not BS for us over here, it would be wonderful. Every big deal gunsmith I talk to over here says its impossible and "for them obviously ...it is". Sometimes THE CONTINENT has skilled craftsmen who are beyond our tool and die "boys". Those Germans do things Remchester's custom shops boys didn't learn in HS shop class. And YES I am writing this to challenge one of our "boys" to step up to that challenge...but I'll bet "it don't happen".
For those of you that question the Blaser R93 or R8's accuracy at long range...go to YouTube and type in "Longrange blog" or try this :
are 50+ short YouTubes of Thomas Haugland (TH) hitting animals and steel out to 1350 yards...look especially at blogs #18-39. TH's tech for speed dialing his windage & come ups is ingenuous ( recalibrating his turrets to his reticle & reading his adjustments on the fly ) to say the least...very quick and reminds me of John Graves/ Aaron Davidson innovations.

Last edited by CRaTxn; 12-23-2012 at 04:01 AM. Reason: spelling