Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Blaser R93 rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2011, 10:13 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Blaser R93 rifle

I just find it a bit hard to believe that a barrel swapping system could keep up(performance wise) with stand alone, purpose built guns.
I can swap scopes while keeping it's level, but not it's POA. No way I could zero a scope on a gun, remove the scope, re-mount it, and not get a change to zero.
And what about the boltface for different cartridges? It has a bolt, & boltface right? Is this included with the barrel? Does every barrel always have a front sight? Are the barrels hammer forged? Free floated?
Then there are the chambers themselves. Can you purchase barrel blanks, to be chambered by a gunsmith?
What aftermarket triggers, or stocks, are available?

Not that I hold anything against Blaser. They are very nice. I seen one for auction at Cabelas for >$20,000(heavily engraved custom).
But this is a LR hunting site, and I would be sincerely amazed if a Blaser(even their LRS2) could hang with common, but custom, LR bolt guns -at distance.
There just aren't many factory guns that could do this..
Old 07-04-2011, 10:50 AM
Bronze Member

I was of the same mind as you before switching. I discovered that the system works and now like it a lot.

Watch my videos, I usually shoot the Blaser 0,4-0,5'ish MOA to 700'ish yards without change in POI. I assemble the rifle and make a CBS headshot at 440 yds more or less every time. It shoots sub MOA to 1100 yards which is where I run out of clicks on the scope (regrettably I don't have a 20 MOA mount.)

It will NOT (edit) measure up to a BR and it is more difficult to shoot well than a heavy LR rig. But my carbine will hit a deer at the ranges the bullet will kill it, it is very much a LR hunting rifle and I drop 40-50 deer with it every year. It will not quite measure up to a "solid" LR rig such as you describe, but it will do good enough. I think the shooter will be the limit before the rifle.

You have to switch bolthead when going between calibre groups (small, medium, magnum). Clip off, clip on. You choose open sight/no sights and there is no price difference. The scope mounts on the barrel and the system gives same tension every time so going between barrels. The bolt locks in the barrel and the barrel locks to the recoil slots. This eliminates action/barrel tension as there is no traditional action, only the bolthead locking in the barrel. More and more aftermarket parts are available. Fortunately, better triggers can be had from Bix'n Andy now. I did not like the original trigger. Barrel blanks are not available, but it is easily done by a gunsmith - just re-thread your old barrel.

Link to my shooting and hunting films
http://www.youtube.com/user/sierra645?feature=mhee

Last edited by Roe; 07-04-2011 at 01:29 PM. Reason: forgot a very important NOT
Old 07-04-2011, 11:31 AM
Silver Member

tag.. I sure like my R93
Old 07-04-2011, 11:55 AM
Gold Member

My biggest reason for passing on the Blaser 93 now that I could afford one, is the limited choice of calibers & barrel lengths. For instance, I love a .25-06 and know such a load needs a long barrel to achieve the ballistics it's capable of. Blaser chambers for the .25-06 in a 22" barrel!. A 22" barrel may be suitable for a 30-30 or .375 H&H, but it's not suited for a .25-06.

I would love a Blaser with barrels for .257 Weatherby, 300 Weatherby, & .340 Weatherby. It would be perfect for everything from pronghorns to Alaskan Brown Bears. Blaser offers the first 2 calibers, but not the third, and chamberings from .257 Weatherby through .375 H&H all come with the 25" barrel.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:34 PM
Bronze Member

Bixn-Andy - Laufwechsel

This guy makes custom barrels on Border blanks. If the quality is like the replacement trigger he makes it should be very good. BUT this custom job comes with a searing pricetag so it is out of the question for me. His trigger was worth every Euro though...

I too want slightly different twists/ calibres. My solution will be to cut and thread in a new blank in my old barrel when it is shot out. It will not cost more than a normal rebarrel job.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roe View Post
My solution will be to cut and thread in a new blank in my old barrel when it is shot out. It will not cost more than a normal rebarrel job.
What does this mean?
Old 07-04-2011, 02:33 PM
Bronze Member

That I intend to cut my worn-out barrel and keep the bit with the recoil slot that attaches to the stock.

This bit will be threaded and barreled like an ordinary action.