Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

View Poll Results: Go the Blaser R93?
Yes - do it 59 35.76%
No 106 64.24%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Blaser r93 - is it accurate. Did it deserve the "Rifle of the Century"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2012, 06:14 PM

Re: Blaser r93 - is it accurate. Did it deserve the "Rifle of the Century"

I am a hunter, but admit I probably lack the long-range experience of many here. I have hunted in Africa, Europe, Alaska, and cont-48. I grew up with guns, mostly for varminting. Got married to a girl from europe whose dad was an avid hunter; and had always used blaser guns. I am now a blaser gun owner.
I do not reload--I only use factory ammo, and same is true for wife's family. I have never had a misfire, and neither has he. I have probably only shot a few hundred rounds, but father in law hunts at least 100 days per year for at least 60 years now. Nearly alwyas with a blaser--sometimes a k95, sometimes r93.
I guess every gun has 'issues'--you can look at recall lists to see that.
I can say that the gun is accurate, including the first shot after I arrive to a new coutnry, and put the gun together and mount the scope. I shoot the test shot for me, not because the gun is not reliable on first shot.
For wild pig, the striaght pull bolt is a BIG advantage. I have shot 3 pigs as they ran within a few seconds. A traditional bolt action would have been a challenge. I own barrels including 243, 257 Wby, 30.06, 300 Wby, 9.3x62. They will be handed down to my sons, just as father-in-law got one gun from his father, and his son has already gotten one from him.
They are great guns. Not perfrect. Made for hunting, particularly in european style.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:03 PM
Gold Member

I know Iam coming into the conversation late, but my 2 cents. Most people who have comments have never shot much less held a blaser. Yes a couple R93 blew up, but they were ALL loaded with bad ammo that had been loaded to higher pressures or some other operator error.

If you search the You Tube video on barrels/guns blowing up, yo will see that the guns that held together were the german and finn rifles, Howa, and the Remington blew up, the gun exploded into pieces.

How many people have died because of a bad trigger safety?? I love all guns, have sako, remington, winchester, blaser, savage, browning, and all but 3 have been sent for trigger work, bedding, mcmillan stock, action truing, lug lapping, re crowning..................the one is the Blaser R8 and my blaser R93 the other is my accustock Savage that is a freaking tack driver.

Rifle of the century.......probably until the R8 came along, now the R8 earns that title in my book. If I could change barrels on my Sako 85 300wsm it might be rife of the year, that darn thing is sweet:-)
Old 08-01-2012, 04:35 AM

My first post on this forum; I'm amazed at the levels of passion/hostility regarding the R93

I have owned my R93 and 3 barrels for about a year and have shot several deer and a couple of hundred rabbits and goats with it. I've also spent many hours developing accurate, safe, hand loads for each calibre; so far I haven't had any reason to question the safety or reliability of the R93; it's accuracy is equal or superior to any of my other currently owned firearms

In my 30 plus years involved the various shooting sports, I have witnessed a few examples of so called 'firearm failures'. None of the examples proved to be anything other than human error or in one case 'absolute human stupidity' the causes ranged from barrel obstructions to an idiot that should never have been allowed anywhere near a reloading bench. I guess what I'm saying is that we humans are more likely to cause injury to ourselves than the tools that we have been provided by the arms industry.

I'm sure there will be people on this forum able to correct me on this; but I can't remember any recent examples of shooters/hunters being injured or killed by their own firearm where they didn't play a significant part in their own demise e.g carried a loaded rifle [with an owner modified trigger] inside the cab of a moving pick up, failing to keep a weapon pointed in a safe direction, filling a magnum cartridge with shotgun powder, clearing a barrel obstruction with..... [you guessed it] a 180 grain cleaning rod, etc etc.

If the R93 is as inherently unsafe as some have suggested and given that over 100,000 units have been sold around the world, I would have expected Blaser to have been successfully prosecuted for criminal nuisance or sued for amounts of money that would repay the national debt of some countries.

Personally, I like the function and accuracy of my R93 but wouldn't rate it as being the 'Rifle of the Century' I have other much less expensive rifles that I like more, for emotional reasons rather than function or design, but I also don't claim to be an expert judge.

It seems to me that it doesn't matter how well a firearm is designed or manufactured; someone will manage to find a way of injuring or killing themselves with it.

Just my 2 cents worth, I hope I haven't offended anyone ;)
Old 08-01-2012, 08:31 PM

Yes ExSako ........ mass hist-aria is alive and well.
The thing that really gets me going, is the willingness of uninformed individuals to post opinions and second hand comments as fact.
They to not check there sources, they do not undertake even the most rudimentary investigations or questioning ........ its just bang, there it is posted !
For a scientific / physics based subject and forum, I expect better.
There are even known individuals ( and businesses ) posting comments that are not only untrue, but are down right slanderous !
How these businesses or individuals have not been sued, or at the very least, shut down, has me thoroughly amazed !
I wouldn't worry to much about offending anyone ( see my comments above ) if you wish to have an honest and factual exchange of ideas ....... it bound to happen, somewhere along the line.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExSako View Post
My first post on this forum; I'm amazed at the levels of passion/hostility regarding the R93

I have owned my R93 and 3 barrels for about a year and have shot several deer and a couple of hundred rabbits and goats with it. I've also spent many hours developing accurate, safe, hand loads for each calibre; so far I haven't had any reason to question the safety or reliability of the R93; it's accuracy is equal or superior to any of my other currently owned firearms

In my 30 plus years involved the various shooting sports, I have witnessed a few examples of so called 'firearm failures'. None of the examples proved to be anything other than human error or in one case 'absolute human stupidity' the causes ranged from barrel obstructions to an idiot that should never have been allowed anywhere near a reloading bench. I guess what I'm saying is that we humans are more likely to cause injury to ourselves than the tools that we have been provided by the arms industry.

I'm sure there will be people on this forum able to correct me on this; but I can't remember any recent examples of shooters/hunters being injured or killed by their own firearm where they didn't play a significant part in their own demise e.g carried a loaded rifle [with an owner modified trigger] inside the cab of a moving pick up, failing to keep a weapon pointed in a safe direction, filling a magnum cartridge with shotgun powder, clearing a barrel obstruction with..... [you guessed it] a 180 grain cleaning rod, etc etc.

If the R93 is as inherently unsafe as some have suggested and given that over 100,000 units have been sold around the world, I would have expected Blaser to have been successfully prosecuted for criminal nuisance or sued for amounts of money that would repay the national debt of some countries.

Personally, I like the function and accuracy of my R93 but wouldn't rate it as being the 'Rifle of the Century' I have other much less expensive rifles that I like more, for emotional reasons rather than function or design, but I also don't claim to be an expert judge.

It seems to me that it doesn't matter how well a firearm is designed or manufactured; someone will manage to find a way of injuring or killing themselves with it.

Just my 2 cents worth, I hope I haven't offended anyone ;)
Just did a little research, and found that the total sales for Blaser R93, is now a staggering 2.2 MILLION units, world wide. ( German Internet source ).
Now if we allow a failure / defect rate of .05 % ( acceptable in most manufacturing circumstances ) that would equate to a total of 1100 firearms ???
I think you can see my point ........
Old 08-03-2012, 05:52 AM

I found the following response from Blaser regarding an 'accident' in 2004 which some people seem to use as a basis for challenging the safety of the R93

Quote:

Dear Sir,

As you are aware of, on January 10, 2004, at a shooting range near Koblenz, Germany, a Blaser R93 was damaged and in that accident the shooter was injured.

Unfortunately this issue has been taken and exaggerated from various people in order to discredit the R93 in an un-objective and dubious way.

On January 22, 2004, the CEO and Technical Directors of Blaser Jagdwaffen GmbH were able to look at the rifle in question, with three police officials with the permission of the public prosecutors office Koblenz.

The steel showed deformation in the lockup area as well as two definite cracks beginning at the rear end of the chamber. Powderized brass was found in the lock-up area. There was deformation on the bolt head as well as deformation on the bolt head elements. The cam plate, which supports the assembly in locked position, and the right rail were broken away from position while the assembly was in a closed and locked position.

In a series of tests through DEVA (Deutsche Versuchs- und prufanstalt fur Jagd- und Sportwaffen.V.) measurements of the gas pressure were increased to almost 8.000bar/116,000 psi, whereby under this pressure there was no measured deformation to the outer contour of the chamber area in the barrel. There were also no deformations to the bolt head.

Without wanting to anticipate the results from the public prosecutor and after examination we have concluded clearly the damage was caused through extreme overloaded gas pressure. With consideration to the above mentioned DEVA examination, it is our opinion that the cause of this accident is without doubt due to the ammunition and cannot be related to the rifle. (my note: the independant agency DEVA later confirmed this as their findings also).

At this point we would like to clearly state, that the technical design of the R93, with more than 100,000 rifles supplied (and now more than 160,000 as has been mentioned in a post above), has not been found responsible for any accident where the rifle has been damaged. Every single R93 is controlled and tested by the state/county proof-house according to the C.I.P. regulations using proof cartridges exceeding the maximal allowed gas pressure by a minimum of 30%. The R93, however, withstands loads/gas pressures way above proof-level as our in-house/combined DEVA-tests clearly documents.

In the test reports from DEVA it was confirmed that there is no reason to doubt or fear the R93s strength and durability. DEVA states, "In the case of destruction to a rifle with an (illegal) gas pressure of 8.000 bar or above, this eventually may result in injury to the shooter. This cannot be related to the rifle."

"There are no reasons for us to doubt the safety of the technical design of the R93."

Unfortunately, it happens in individual cases that the use of defective or incorrectly loaded ammunition results in damage to the rifle and/or shooter, no matter what brand or type of rifle is used. For example, in 2003 we were aware that in Austria alone, three cases of destroyed bolt-actions rifles occured due to incorrectly loaded ammunition with three different rifle manufacturers being involved.

Even through there are enormous numbers of R93s on the market there are extremely few cases occuring through inadmissable, well overloaded gas pressures where a rifle is damaged or destructed. For this there are appraisals from different institutes with clear statements: In none of these cases a weapon-lateral cause of the damage was determined.

The Blaser R93, through its extremely safe and practice-suited technical design is one of the most popular hunting rifles offered on todays market. The straight fact is that with the enormous numbers of the R93 in the field today it is extremely rare that a rifle is destructed through incorrectly loaded ammunition. This is argument enough for the R93.

End of quote.

I haven't been able to find any information regarding any legal action [civil or criminal] relating to the previously described 'cases' involving Blaser or the other 3 unnamed manufacturers.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:48 AM

Well ExSako ....... that just about said it all.
I also, was unable to find any legal action ( civil or other ) relating to Blaser, or any of the holding companies ( AG ) relating to any of there products, in any country in Europe or the USA.
There is a high volume shooter / blogger on You Tube ( Norwegian ) by the name of Thomas Haugland, who I think is on his third 6.5 / 284 barrel.
Its worth watching his series, he achieves excellent accuracy with standard weight barrels, and fairly flogs an R93, with hard and fast action.