Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

View Poll Results: Go the Blaser R93?
Yes - do it 59 35.76%
No 106 64.24%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Blaser r93 - is it accurate. Did it deserve the "Rifle of the Century"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2005, 11:21 AM
Gold Member

Re: Blaser r93 - is it accurate. Did it deserve the \"Rifle of the Century\"

Gentlemen.
I have a wealth of experience with the Blaser R93, I know (and have consumed beer) with the guys who own the company. The Blaser R93 is a very popular hunting rifle here in Germany, they have run a massive advertising campaign since the rifles launch. The first R93's cost Blaser 380 Deutsch Marks to produce and where sold for about 10 times that figure.
They have a decent barrel. The rifles are all accurate, some out standingly accurate. The removal of the barrel from the stock group is very simple and the purpose dsigned scope mounts seem to work fairly well.
Personaly i wouldn't touch one with a barge pole. The alluminium "reciever" bolt carrier body group is tinny, it will not stand any abuse.
The Blaser owes its accuracy to a decent barrel and the 360 degrees lock up which forces the case home between the bolt face and the chamber. In my opinion Blaser have something here in this design, it is however majorly under developed. It needs developing. The locking system needs to be combined into a traditional bolt mechanism and action in some way, then we would have a winner.
The system as it is is prone to failure of the locking flanges, which creates a very dangerouse situation indeed. you do not want to be feeding the R93 hot hand loads.
To me the rifle should have remained as a one of concept gimick rifle untill Blaser had developed the design to its optimum.
Now as far as the German market for rifles is concerned, many hunters in Germany shoot maybe 3 or 4 deer a year, the odd fox and an odd pig. They very seldom go to a range. They hunt mostly from tree stands that are maybe 200 yards from the car, under these conditions the R93 is likely to last a while, if you are happy to put up with the misfires and that fiddly to load action. I wouldn't want to have to go against anything remotely dangerouse with an R93.
If you want a take down rifle. look at the Sauer 202 or 3000. the Sig SHR 970 Heym SR21, HS precision 2000 take down, Mauser M03.
If you want a tacticle type. the Sig 970 can be had with a McMillan A5.
do your self a favour and don't go near a blasre R93
Pete
Old 02-08-2005, 06:03 PM
Platinum Member

Pete,
Thanks for the good info. You call things like they are. I am sure that you are aware that they make a tactical 93 rig - it has more bells, whistles and nifty stuff than my one year old grand-daughter's latest kiddie-toy.
I was unimpressed with the detachable scope mounts, one of the levers had almost no friction when it was tightened and locked in place. That only left one holding the big S&B scope with any tension.
Despite the fact I had this niggling little concern that each shot might blow my face off the rifle I tested shot very accurately and it continues to do so. The fellow who owns it likes German quality and he is doing some excellent hunting and LR shooting with his 93. I will stick with my 70's and 700's even tho I cannot switch the bolt from left to right side, swap bolt faces and barrels or stock configurations.
Did you experience a Canadian winter when you were over here - we are freezing our gonies off these days out on the prairies.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:43 PM
Gold Member

Ian,

I spent 2 winters in CFB Shilo (95 & 96). It never went below -35 deg C. What are you complaining about? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-09-2005, 07:12 PM
Gold Member

Ian, the scope mounts are adjustable for clamping, you screw the multi slotted head of the screw in or out and this adjusts clampiing pressure the scope mounts work. the things are accurate, but are a pile of crap.
The only North American continental winter i experienced was in Soddom on Patomac ( Ft Belvior , Alexandria) it was brass monkeys there..
I always managed to do Canada in the summer months, the girls where easier to chase in the sun.
Brown dog, you mean it wasn't cold in that command post waggon. eh.. your aci ring is on its way.. by the way
Pete
Old 02-10-2005, 01:28 AM
Gold Member

Hi Pete,

Thanks.

Don't over-estimate the comfort of the CP, I saw some guys with nasty little lip burns when their freshly brewed coffee was too hot [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I was on my 2nd FOO tour back then [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] Cdn inf used to issue a rum ration below -25deg C [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 02-10-2005, 04:43 PM
Gold Member

Doggus Brownus,, when i was with the Inf, the FOO was a bloke that had my respect. and the FOO didn't usualy spend much time in the CP, rum ration, i thought that went out with Lord Nelson.. Canada was great eh..
glad we agree that the R93 is a pile of junk.
let me know when you get the package, i hope it fits. Pete
Old 02-12-2005, 06:56 AM
Silver Member

IanM ,
Want a bit of heat ? We'll send you some of ours ! Been about 105 in the shade here for the past couple of days .
Got a dead mouse in the airconditioner at work . Take your pick - heat or stink . [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]