Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

View Poll Results: Go the Blaser R93?
Yes - do it 59 35.76%
No 106 64.24%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Blaser r93 - is it accurate. Did it deserve the "Rifle of the Century"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2005, 10:06 AM

Re: Blaser r93 - is it accurate. Did it deserve the \"Rifle of the Cent

I use a R93 in 7x64 for African plains game and red deer in UK.Never had a misfire. It's a neat travel gun. BUT: not cheap, but it certainly feels cheap to me. Not much pride of ownership. I would not buy another, nor am I interested in extending collection of barrels.
The recall (IIRC) was because the safety catch could fail to function properly. I have hunted with one PH who preferred me to use another gun for just that reason pre-recall.
I briefly considered an LRS2 before ordering an RPA. Ignoring their looks for a second, the RPA has a much better feel, but so much for objectivity!
Old 02-06-2005, 10:36 AM
Silver Member

Re: Blaser r93 - is it accurate. Did it deserve the \"Rifle of the Century\"

The blow-up rifle is a SAKO 75 AS stated the Blaser had a safety malfunction and was recalled and repaired.There are multiple references on this website to the blowup,but it was interesting to read your response.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:51 AM
Platinum Member

There are absolute horror stories about both the 75 stainless lightweights and also the Blazers coming apart (recent nasty story about a 93 bolt coming through the side of a shooters jaw in Germany) . How factual is internet-info - no doubt some is correct and some is bull-droppings. Pretty hard to dispute when there are photos with a rifle in pieces tho.

I get the willies when I close the bolt of an R-93 and think about how much metal (and the collet design) that is holding the bolt shut during 50-60,000 pounds of chamber pressure. No doubt it is designed not to fail, but machines fail all the time.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:04 PM
Platinum Member

Ian,
I'm surprised noone else here has read about the R93 blow ups. The gent in Germany with the bolt through his head... that survived... is the one I really remember, the other stories seemed to follow from all over the globe soon after that one hit the press, definitely brought some attention to the problem with the R93.
Old 02-06-2005, 01:57 PM
Gold Member

This prompted me to do a web search;

Translation of a Spanish article:

http://www.deportiro.com/english_art..._version.shtml

The pics in the article only show on the Spanish version:

http://www.deportiro.com/armaslargas/bl10.shtml

Ouch [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]!

Old 02-06-2005, 03:55 PM
Platinum Member

Brown Dog,
That is a striking image. Is it just me or would you agree that there are a hell of a lot of parts involved in that action. Does not look like a good example of the "keep it simple" principal [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
I have shot the 93's on several occasions and really did not like the fact that the flat-bottomed bolt sits on a flat surface that more or less pointed the bolt right at the side of my face. Lot of trust in that little interchangeable bolt collet-thingy that has to expand outward to withstand the pressure. Plus the bolt handle "cams" or moves a bit to lock and unlock stuff - did not enjoy that extra movement.
The rifles shot well, were very quick to cycle but not sure how well they would function if they got really dirty. Found them to be "gadgety" - neat design engineering to enable bolt-face, barrel, stock configuration changes but not as simple and tough as a M-70 or 700.
Old 02-06-2005, 05:33 PM
Silver Member

I am glad that I saw this I for one have lusted after one of these for years.Maybe it should be forwarded to Jekk Cooper at Guns and Ammo he has beeb praising the Blase4r for a couple of years.Thanks for changing my mind. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]