Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Black Sunshine......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2006, 03:32 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Black Sunshine......

Fifty, I've thought about coating my action and barrel on my new 338 "Yogi", however, I have always been told that it's not a good idea to coat the BAT action due to the tightness factor. However, it sounds like your not having too much trouble. My rifle is going to be Green and Black, so I think the Matte Black teflone coating would look awesome. Could you give me some feed back about coating the BAT action.
Once again, Black Sunshine looks awesome, that barrel looks huge. I can't wait to get my big rifle, my barrel is the same size, 1.750 straight tapper. The barrel looks big in the photos, what's it like in person. I have a 1.250 straight tapper on my 223 varmint rig and it's huge. These 1.750 straight tappers must look enormous in person. Good luck with the testing.

Wildcat
Old 05-30-2006, 12:03 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

You would have to ask Shawn Carlock about the techincal aspects of teflon coating. I do not have alot of demand for it in my area from customers so I am not set up to do this. I have Shawn do all my coating for me that customers want.

As far as the BAT receiver, yes it is tight when its coated, very tight!! But, it does loosen up relatively quickly by working the bolt. The way I see it, this could only really help things. AS long as the bolt functions properly, the tighter the lock up the better on this type of rifle.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 05-30-2006, 06:10 PM
Sponsor

Coating the really tight actions is not a big deal. There are areas that you don't coat, locking lugs etc. But all external showing surfaces are done. The bolt body to bolt raceway fit will need some movement to fit and on some will wear through the finish in spots, but most of those have always been in areas not visible when the action is locked up. I have come up with a couple tricks during application to make the finish harder and last longer. It is not hard chrome but is a durable finish and a physical barrier against water etc. I like the teflon finishes for most applications. If you have some specific concerns about teflon finishes we should start a thread about them so we don't "jack" the Black Sunshine thread. I will get one going in a couple of days.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659