Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Black Sunshine......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2006, 10:23 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Black Sunshine......

Eaglet,

The nickname Black sunshine is from a song from a rock band in which they talk about a 500 hp Mustang(uck!!) that was painted all black and at night when they would put the hammer down, all you would see would be the red tail lights and the flame coming out of the sliced headers just behind the front tires.

Know I am no fan of a mustang, would much have preferred the song to be about a 500 hp Camero SSRS but the nickname stuck with me over the years and I figured some day I wanted to build a rifle that would justify this nick name. I think it works with this rifle!!

I think if we were comparing rifle HP to car HP, Black sunshine would probably be pushing 1000 hp!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 05-28-2006, 10:25 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Wildcat,

In actual life, the Red is about 10 times more viberant then it appears in these pictures. Just does not give it due justice but you get the idea.

I already know she will be a shooter. Took her out at 1500 yards before I shipped it off to get coated. Put four shots in a 7.5" group so I think it will definately be a shooter. I think 1/2 moa at 2000 yards should not be an issue in good conditions if I am up to the challange.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 05-28-2006, 01:08 PM
SPONSOR

Looks damn nice Kirby, looks like shawn did nice job. I really like the looks of that scope, the reticle is impressive looking in the pic you sent me.

hope the weather lets up and you get on the mend quick so we can see what that thing will do at 2k

you still planning on using the Ivey rings on her???

take it easy
steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 05-28-2006, 02:07 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Lerch,

The Ivey rings are 30mm and the IOR is a 35mm so I will not be albe to use them with that scope. Right now I am thinking I will test the Iveys on my 338 Kahn here soon. I have a couple 30mm scopes I may use including the 6-24 Burris Black Diamond.

I had to machine a new bolt for my 338 Kahn. I was sharing the same bolt between my 338 Kahn and 7mm AM and when I sold the 7mm AM, well, it had to have a bolt [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]!!

As such I needed to machine the original bolt to work in the Kahn. This morning I was feeling pretty good and at least got most of the bolt head modified to work in the Kahn. Just have to shorten the nose about 10 thou and then mill the bolt for a Sako extractor. Then it will be back in action.

I may also lengthen the throat in my Kahn. I got a new 1-30-00 throating reamer for the 338 cal compared to the 3 degree throat angle on the reamer. Has proven to allow more velocity potential with the modified throat angle.

I think I will also increase its length by about 0.300". This barrel only has about 400 rounds down it and is still in pretty good shape but I have always wanted a longer throat anyway. If I am going to do a little why not everything.

It makes me laugh sometimes to think about having my little and big 338 out at the same time. Calling a 338 that will get you 3150 fps with a 300 gr SMK, a "little" 338 is just not right!!! But comparing it to the 338 AM, its LITTLE!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 05-28-2006, 02:43 PM
SPONSOR

well get that "dainty 338 kahn" up an running so you can tell all of us how those rings work! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I guess compared to the 338AM a lot of big guns look kinda small [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]!!

take it easy
steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 05-28-2006, 06:08 PM
Silver Member

I can't wait to hear about the IOR scope, it's a consideration when my rifles are done. I was looking at the S&B high power stuff, but the IOR will suffice if your review is what I'm expecting.

Thanks for the info.

Be kind to your neighbors... shoot quietly..
WWW.Gem-tech.com
WWW.Advanced-Armament.com
Old 05-28-2006, 09:41 PM
SPONSOR

Kirby,
She is a beaut and a shooter to boot!
I know you are happy and I am happy for you.