Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Black Sunshine......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2006, 02:26 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Black Sunshine......

Well, Late yesterday I got a package from my friend Shawn C at Defensive edge. It was the barreled receiver of my 338 Allen Mag being returned from getting a coat of flat Black teflon and then diamond engraved with Black Sunshine on the right side of the barrel and APS 338 Allen Mag on the left side just ahead of the receiver.

I found [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] a few minutes to get the barrel back on the receiver and reassemble the rifle. Would not have been able to sleep last night if I had not!!!

The weather forcast for this holiday weekend was pretty grim. Heavy rain all weekend until Tuesday, go figure!!! Anyway, I wanted to be ready incase the forcast was wrong which is often is.

Work up this morning to constant rain!!! Also work up and found the mild head and chest cold I have been playing with all week had turned into a case of full blown flu!!

Home bound today I guess. Thats alright, get sick and have rain on the same day, good timing if one has to get sick I guess.

Anyway, I took some pics but something is really screwed up with www.hunt101.com as the quality of the uploaded pics really SUCKS.

Got a question about www.photobucket.com, how do you get the uploaded pics to be smaller. Everyone I unload is huge.

Anyway, the uploaded pictured did not even come close to giving this rifle justice so I decided not to post them. If anyone is interested in the pics send me an e-mail and I will e-mail them to you as they look good on an e-mail.

I would like to thank Shawn Carlock for his work on this project which was the final touches to make this rifle turn out exactly how I wanted it to. Now with all the metal work totally black the red in the stock really brightens up.

Anyway, just wanted to give Shawn a public Thank You because as always your work is top notch!!!

If someone else would want to try to post these pics let me know as well and I can forward them to you and see if they upload better through another server or another photo host sight.

More reports will be coming as soon as the rain stops. Still waiting for my replacement, lower 35mm IOR rings to get here so I still have the 3.5-15 Nightforce on the rifle just for pics. The big 9-36 will certainly be a better match to this 60 lb rifle.

I also got in my Vhita Vouri 20N29 powder to test as well which I think may be the best powder for the 338 AM loaded with +300 gr pills. We will see.

Again, sorry for not posting pics, they flat were terrible in quality so if your interested in seeing the big girl send me an e-mail and I will get you some pics.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 05-27-2006, 02:56 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Black Sunshine......

Kiby

I would appreciate an email picture. I am interested in this but Shawn doesn't have the right colors to match up with my stock. Things might change or I might decide to go with straight black like you did.

Thanks

Thanks
Old 05-27-2006, 03:17 PM
Silver Member

Kirby,

Send me the pictures that you want posted.

junkmail1369 AT cableone DOT net
Old 05-27-2006, 03:51 PM
Silver Member

Kirby
Just click on the edit button above your photo in photobucket. Then just choose the size you want. I would suggest trying 75% first because you can't enlarge after you shink it.
Old 05-27-2006, 03:51 PM
Platinum Member

I gave up on hunt 101 after they deleted all my pictures the second time. I now use http://www.imageshack.us
They automatically resize if you want them too.

My problem with Photo bucket is pictures don't last very long before they delete them.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 05-27-2006, 05:48 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

These were through Imageshack. For some reason they still are pretty grainy but better then Hunt101.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 05-27-2006, 06:22 PM
Platinum Member

Kirby:

Great looking final product. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I saw her "in the white" and in pieces, and this final version really looks different. Black Sunshine is a fitting name for a great looking long range rifle like this. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I know what you mean about the weather. This rain is getting old after a week or more. Supposed to start getting a little better tomorrow and next week so maybe some bullets will fly in the next few days.

Looks like Shawn did another great coating job. Black is hard to take pictures of that justify the subject.

Keep us posted and especially when you get the "big" 9-36 mounted and have some more range data.

I see a lot of big dust clouds, and dead critters, a long long way down range in your future. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]