Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Black Bear Bullet Selection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2013, 11:18 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Black Bear Bullet Selection

My brother used a 180 ballistic tip in both of his bears. Both DRT. Both were in bow range.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyloader View Post
My load is a 150 grain barnes ttsx over 60 grains of H414 CCI #200 primer and Remington case. This load as proven very effective on whitetails (which we have killed many with this load).

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated I have never fired at a bear and am therefore inexperienced in this arena, I have many years of experience reloading some experience long range shooting. I know that there are many individuals on this forum with much more experience than I and would greatly appreciate any feedback
My Dad took his 205 pound black bear at 90 yards in August using his 7mm Wby and 150gr Barnes TTSX. Bear was quartering towards him, and the bullet entered in front of the right shoulder and exited ahead of the left hip. Flipped the bear over backward, DRT. You should have no problems.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:22 AM
Platinum Member

If you're sure the range won't stretch, any of the 220 grain RN's bullets will work. I like the Nosler Partition. The 200 grain Accubond is another good general use bullet.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:50 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for all the feedback, I like the videos too, looks like shot placement is going to be the key to DRT. I did pick up a package of 180 accubonds on my way home tonight before I saw the video. Maybe we will see what they do on whitetails before next years bear hunt.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:43 PM
Platinum Member

The 180 AB puts whitetails down quick in a 30.06. That's my experience on several deer in KY.