Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Bipod throws off accuracy on Savage LA with sythetic stock.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2012, 11:35 AM
Silver Member

Bipod throws off accuracy on Savage LA with sythetic stock.

I quit using the bipod on this rifle (7mag) because my groups would always seem to grow when using it. Strangely, accuracy even seems to be affected by simply having the bipod mounted on the gun, folded up. It's worse when it's actually being used though. I'm thinking that maybe recoil is causing the un-stiffened stock forearm to flex up and hit the barrel, throwing it off, before the rounds have exited, due to the extra weight of the bipod.

Does this sound like what is probably happening with the bipod attached?

Has anyone else ever run into this?

My new Choate Ultimate Varminter stock arrived yesterday, but it won't see any action until my new stainless heavy RUM barrel arrives, hopefully within the month of April. That stock DOES have a considerable amount of (aluminum) stiffening molded into it. It has a thumbscrew near the butt for elevation adjustment, when used with a bipod, So I want to keep the bipod mounted on it, and use it whenever feasible.

Will I be free of the group growth problem with this stock, when there is a bipod mounted and/or used?
Old 03-31-2012, 02:22 PM
Silver Member

Re: Bipod throws off accuracy on Savage LA with sythetic stock.

the tupperware stock may be making contact with the barrel on recoil this sometimes happens when shooting off a bipod with a flexible stock. you could fix this by epoxying acouple of aluminum dowels into the forend for rigidity
Old 03-31-2012, 02:32 PM
Platinum Member

Stock contact with the barrel may be the issue.

I am not sure which Savage you have but in general lighter weight guns with magnum type chamberings won't shoot as well off pods as they will with some type of forend control. This is a big misnomer that comes from the tactical LR type setups that really doesn't translate very well to the light to mid weight platforms.

Most guys shooting the mid to light weight setups will see better groups if they shoot off a bag or pack and can cradle the forend with their support hand, putting some tension on the forend to control the recoil on the front end.

Try it and see if it doesn't help.

Scot E.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:33 PM
Gold Member

If you're shooting off a bench, you have to dampen the rubber feet of the bi-pod on the bench with a folded towel, shirt, etc.... otherwise they'll bounce off the bench and mess up accuracy.

If you are putting sandbags under the forearm behind the mounted (yet folded) bi-pod, you're going to have the bi-pod drag on recoil, touching the bags and messing you up again.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:37 PM
Silver Member

I AM going heavy, with the CUV and 7RUM varmint taper stainless barrel
(10-40x50mm scope). The original savage 110 long (pre-accutrigger) stock is for sale if anyone interested - great condition! Just hoping that the bipod isn't going to be a issue anymore, with the CUV. It's a pretty darn hefty stock, but that's what I wanted. They are wide, but that works good for me also. My only issue with it is that the pistol-grip is a bit short in height under the trigger guard, as my pinky sits outside of the indentation. Other than that, it feels totally great.

green saying if the bipod can slide (back), the shots will be better?

That "trick" can only work reliably (consistantly) on a bench though, right?
Old 04-02-2012, 10:06 AM
Silver Member

Update: I just found the solution to what I had asked. I was staring me right in the face, the whole time. It won't work for the CUS, due to it's angled rail, But for the CUV, you just loosen up the thumbscrew on the bipod mount rail, and it will allow the rifle to slide back on recoil, without the bipod ever having to move. Maybe it would help to even grease it up a bit.

Snipers might want to take note that this is an advantage that the CUS stock DOESN"T have.