Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

ARE BIGGER CALS LESS ACCURATE ? " This should be interesting !"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2008, 05:39 AM
Gold Member

ARE BIGGER CALS LESS ACCURATE ? " This should be interesting !"

I thought thihs topic might raise a little interest with a few of you !

I have been doing some research on some larger factory chamberings. 408 CT, 416 BARRETT and 50 BMG and one thing I am noticing is that there seems to be an opinion among many that these cals loose accuracy to gain extended range capabilty ?

Many of them quote guaranteed accuracy of only 1 moa, with Mcmillan Bros being the best I have seen saying the TAC 50 will shoot .5 at 100 yards.

From my ltd experience with the 338 cals, I would not raise an eyebrow about a great shooting rifle unless it was .5 moa or better at 1000 yards. Maybe I am just spoilt ? But when your shelling out huge somes of money for these so called BIG NAME BRANDS you want the accuracy. I'm personally not interetsed in sacrificing freaky good accuracy to extend the range potential.

Are the larger cals as capable of great accuracy ? I know the AM and Snipe TAC will do it, but I have not seen much else.

Is the bigger round harder to get shooting tight ?

Barrett and Mcmillan are huge dollars for what I think is so so ran accuracy guarantees

This should be interesting !

Lets get it on !!

Last edited by Down Under Hunter; 12-16-2008 at 05:43 AM.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:15 AM
Platinum Member

Re: ARE BIGGER CALS LESS ACCURATE ? " This should be interesting !"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down Under Hunter View Post
I thought thihs topic might raise a little interest with a few of you !

I have been doing some research on some larger factory chamberings. 408 CT, 416 BARRETT and 50 BMG and one thing I am noticing is that there seems to be an opinion among many that these cals loose accuracy to gain extended range capabilty ?

Many of them quote guaranteed accuracy of only 1 moa, with Mcmillan Bros being the best I have seen saying the TAC 50 will shoot .5 at 100 yards.

From my ltd experience with the 338 cals, I would not raise an eyebrow about a great shooting rifle unless it was .5 moa or better at 1000 yards. Maybe I am just spoilt ? But when your shelling out huge somes of money for these so called BIG NAME BRANDS you want the accuracy. I'm personally not interetsed in sacrificing freaky good accuracy to extend the range potential.

Are the larger cals as capable of great accuracy ? I know the AM and Snipe TAC will do it, but I have not seen much else.

Is the bigger round harder to get shooting tight ?

Barrett and Mcmillan are huge dollars for what I think is so so ran accuracy guarantees

This should be interesting !

Lets get it on !!

If this theory is true, does that mean that a .243 is inherently more accurate than a .338rum? I think that if this theory about the very large calibers seems to hold up, it must have something to do with the build of the rifles, and the bullets being used. JMHO

Steve
Old 12-16-2008, 12:36 PM
Platinum Member

I will jump in and share my experience with this subject.

I strongly believe that proper gunsmithing is the key to accuracy in any calibre.

If you biuld a big bore rifle with a lightweight taper barrel harmonics will probably
prevent it from shooting very well, but placed on a heavy barrel they will shoot
with any light calibre.

Obviously bench rest shooters don't shoot bigbores because of recoil.

Assuming you could shoot in a vacuum and the quality of all of the components in the
shooting system were best ( barrel,action,gunsmithing,brass,load quality and shooter
skill ) they should shoot as well as small bores.

The reason for going larger for long range is Larger bullets with high Blistic coefficients
are less affected buy external forces (Wind ,humidity,gravity,ETC ).

Heavy bullets tend to have better SD's than light bullets, where as it is tuff to get a light
bullet below a SD of 10.

Also on long range shooting shooter error is magnified .

So I will say there is no reason that a bigbore should shoot any worse than a small bore.

In fact the best group I have ever shot was a .031 and it was with a 400gr 416 bullet
in a heavy ( #8 tapered barrel ) custom rifle.

The new army tanks can hit at 4000 yrds and they are realy big bores.

NEXT !!!!!
J E CUSTOM

Last edited by J E Custom; 12-16-2008 at 08:27 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:45 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

These are only opinions here.

1: I believe that accuracy and inherent accuracy are 2 completely different things. For instance, a good smith might build a 30-06 with absolute precision and it might be a very accurate rifle. But the reason you seem ore 6mmPPC's at the BR matches and never a 30-06 is because of the fact that 6mmPPC's are "inherently" more accurate.

2: I also believe that accuracy has nothing to do with case size IN AND OF ITSELF. Please note, a 308 bullet on a 308 case is a very balanced load. A 50 caliber bullet on a 50 BMG case is also a very balanced load. Now neck the 50 BMG down to 308. Now we have a load way out of balance. Where do we draw the line? That is anybodies opinion. We build 300 RUMs and 30-378 Wby mags ect...IMHO these are not very well balanced loads BUT with top quality components put together with precise tolerances by smiths who know what they are doing, well you can still have an accurate rifle.

Accuracy is a VERY subjective term here.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:03 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

It's always been my belief that large calibers are less inherently accurate because of the increased mass of the 'moving parts', and the disturbance this causes to the shooting platform. If you are to get a large caliber rifle to shoot well, it had better be heavy.
-Bryan

Author of: Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting
And: Accuracy and Precision for Long Range Shooting

Old 12-16-2008, 10:13 PM
Gold Member

I agree with Bryan but will add that a heavy recoiling rifle may be considered a POS that couldnt hit the side of a barn in one shooters hands but could be sub MOA in anothers.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:54 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistic64 View Post
I agree with Bryan but will add that a heavy recoiling rifle may be considered a POS that couldnt hit the side of a barn in one shooters hands but could be sub MOA in anothers.
There is alot of truth to that statment. Heavy recoiling rifle's like to be "held" a certain way.

This is why "heavier" rifles in large calibers that generate lots of recoil typically shoot much better. They are more forgiving if you dont hold them just right because they dont bounce around so violently. Also because they dont intimidate the shooter near as much either and the shooter is less apt to punch the trigger and flinch.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.