Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

big 7 or big 30

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 08:58 AM
Platinum Member

Re: big 7 or big 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamehawker View Post

If they actuallly achieve the perceived G1 they would be one bad bullet. I've got 10-1 odds that they don't.

t

Old 03-22-2013, 09:09 AM
Silver Member

I'd love to shoot the new 195 Berger when it comes out but i don't know I'd it will survive the velocity from the 7-338 lapua imp.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:48 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Cody,

With the high bc bullets available these days, the 30 cals have more potential than the 7's. the down side is recoil but the upside is barrel life. 300rums are hard on barrels as it is. The 7rum is hell on them. Why not the tried and true 300 win? You already have a hammer (338). For the country and game you hunt a 300 win would do you well
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntermncb View Post
I'd love to shoot the new 195 Berger when it comes out but i don't know I'd it will survive the velocity from the 7-338 lapua imp.
I am pretty sure it would survive it better than the 180 grain berger, it is moving about 100-200 fps slower and with the higher bc shouldnt have as much resistance one it is in the air. Thats my theory though and others probably differ.

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 03-22-2013, 02:15 PM
Silver Member

I'm sure the 300 Winnie would serve me well I just am stuck on doing the big calibers. I think the 30-338 lapua improved would be wicked. I guess I just like the extra performance even if it means extra weight on the rifle and less barrel life.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:37 PM
Bronze Member

No flies on the plain-jane 300 Win Mag which would be my suggestion, especially if you already have a 338 Lapua. But, it doesn't sound like you would be happy with it so, get what you want. After hunting and shooting with guys that have 338-378's, 338 Lapua's and the like, I've come to really enjoy slower, more efficient rounds.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:41 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntermncb View Post
I'm sure the 300 Winnie would serve me well I just am stuck on doing the big calibers. I think the 30-338 lapua improved would be wicked. I guess I just like the extra performance even if it means extra weight on the rifle and less barrel life.
Fair enough. My recommendation is to order two barrels and get them extra long so they can be set back a couple times. There is a good chance you will fry one before the next one arrived. Even if you ordered it the same day as the first at the range. I have 1st hand knowledge of how hard the 30-338LM Improved is on barrels. 3 groove to boot. They are wicked, I'll give you that.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.