Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

big 7 or big 30

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 09:36 AM
Platinum Member

Re: big 7 or big 30

Outlaw, I do see what you're saying......However, the STW will offer less recoil, flatter shooting, and less internal damage to the meat, but will still put them down with no issues. It will also be cheaper to shoot than the .338 Lapua. And it will use alot less powder. As far as reloading, the only advantage I see to the Lapua, is that it is not a belted magnum, therefore the brass might last longer, depending on how hot he loads it.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Outlaw, I do see what you're saying......However, the STW will offer less recoil, flatter shooting, and less internal damage to the meat, but will still put them down with no issues. It will also be cheaper to shoot than the .338 Lapua. And it will use alot less powder. As far as reloading, the only advantage I see to the Lapua, is that it is not a belted magnum, therefore the brass might last longer, depending on how hot he loads it.

I did highlight the recoil issue. The STW is very capable of putting animals in the dirt, but doesn't hold a candle to the Lapua in that respect at any range. Another advantage of the Lapua is Lapua brass which will last (properly used of course) far longer than any brass offered for the STW. I believe Broz was over a dozen loads with his 338 Lapua brass & still going strong.

I'm not trying to talk anyone out of the STW, I'm just voicing my opinion that the OP addressed BIG 7mm's. I don't think the STW fits that bill. IMHO, big 7mm start with the RUM or Dakota & gos up from there.

t

Old 03-21-2013, 09:51 AM
Platinum Member

The Dakota is physically smaller than the STW. But has relative case capacity. The RUM is slightly bit bigger around, but the same length as the STW. I have never been a RUM fan.

Here's a good read:

7mm Musings

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 03-21-2013, 07:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
You're welcome mud.

Gents, please remember, that 7rum might have only lasted 600 rounds (did you set it back?). You are comparing a factory barrel to the Top Tier custom barrel that Kirby uses. While Rem barrels are ok, they simply cannot compete with the custom made, hand lapped barrels.

Will an untreated 7am make it 1000 rounds? Nope, probably not. That would be the price you pay for that type of performance. It's going to be up to the OP to choose what he wants/needs. He's already got a 338 Lapua, the STW is not going to offer anything the Lapua cannot already do (minus the recoil).

t
I'm talking rem barrels for both rifles. The rum will fire crack the throat a good bit more than the stw and hence eats it up faster. I could (and did) get 3500 fps out of my sendero 7stw with 140 grain accubonds and rl25; my hunting load was 3450 fps with a 140 accubond. My rum started out at 3425 fps with the 140 sierra and rl25; it eventually made 3500 fps with the same charge a couple of hundred rounds before I retired it. The 7rum took 13 grains more powder to make the same or less velocity.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:00 PM
Silver Member

If I were to do a big 7 I would be shooting 175 plus type bullets
Old 03-22-2013, 05:29 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntermncb View Post
If I were to do a big 7 I would be shooting 175 plus type bullets
My vote would be for the new 175 gr. Nosler Accubond Lon Range bullets!

http://www.nosler.com/bullets/accubond_longrange.aspx

Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope

Remington 700 LSS .257 Weatherby Magnum
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope
Old 03-22-2013, 07:30 AM
Platinum Member

I'm thoroughly impressed at how my 7STW is shooting the 180 Berger VLD's. i don't think I could go back to AB's, atleast not in the STW. I still plan on shooting the AB's in my 7Mag and .257 Wby Mag, unless I can find a load that will work better than the current ones, but with Berger VLD's.

Quote: