Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

big 7 or big 30

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 07:52 PM
Platinum Member

Re: big 7 or big 30

Nitride is good. What about Melonite coating? Will it be just as good?

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntermncb View Post
I would imagine barrel life isnt 300 rounds probably 600 to 800 if you treat it nice
My last 7rum only went 600 shots; the Allen's a lot more gun than that... my 7stw was still shooting well at 1500 shots when I traded her.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:12 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7mmstw View Post
My last 7rum only went 600 shots; the Allen's a lot more gun than that... my 7stw was still shooting well at 1500 shots when I traded her.
This is exactly why I would go with a 7mm STW.

Manageable recoil so it does not require a muzzle brake too!

I love my 7mm STWs!

Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope

Remington 700 LSS .257 Weatherby Magnum
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope
Old 03-21-2013, 09:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
No clue.....You might be surprised. Ask Kirby Allen. He's on here. His handle is "Fiftydriver". I'm sure he could shed some more light about the Allen Magnums. He's a really nice guy...Don't be afraid to ask questions.

He has talked about that before, somewhere. His personal 7am had a good bit more rounds through it that I thought he'd get. A lot of it depends on how you treat it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
get the barrel nitraed and it will last 1500 rounds give or take.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Nitride is good. What about Melonite coating? Will it be just as good?

SBN & Meloniting (from what I understand) are pretty much the same thing. The process is Nitrocarburizing to bore surface to increase hardness & lubricity (make it slippery).

Salt Bath Nitriding

Melonite QPQ Process The Melonite QPQ process is a multi step process that provides a very uniform consistent nitride layer on your components. The first step of the process is a preheat to raise the components surface temperature to about 700 - 800F in air. The product is then transferred to the MEL 1/TF1 tank containing the liquid Melonite salt to begin the Nitrocarburizing process. The salt melt mainly consists of alkali cyanate and alkali carbonate. It is operated in a pot made from special material, and the pot is fitted with an aeration device. The active constituent in the MEL 1 / TF 1 bath is the alkali cyanate. The Nitrocarburizing process step is conducted in the MEL 1 / TF 1 bath at 896-1166F, the standard temperature is usually 1076F. When ferrous alloys are immersed into the bath it creates a reaction with the salt and begins to diffuse nitrogen and a small amount of carbon into the substrate. Because the Melonite process is a liquid nitriding processs, the nitride layer is extremely uniform on inside surfaces as well as outside surfaces. The product is allowed to soak in the MEL 1/TF 1 bath for a predetermined period to achieve the desired cased depth and compound layer thickness. Unlike gas nitriding or gas nitro-carburizing, the substances MEL 1 / TF 1 and REG 1 - needed for the MELONITE- and QPQ-process, do not contain constituents classified as toxic or harmful to the environment. A specially developed cooling bath (AB 1 bath) is used for carrying out the oxidative treatment after salt bath nitrocarburizing. During this treatment, a black iron oxide layer (magnetite) is produced on the surface of the treated parts, which greatly enhances the corrosion resistance. The temperature of the cooling bath is 700 - 800F. Apart from the oxidative effect, the bath has a positive influence on the dimensional stability of the cooled components.

t

Old 03-21-2013, 09:28 AM
Platinum Member

Good info! Thanks Outlaw.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 03-21-2013, 09:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7mmstw View Post
Man, I hope my Sendero lasts that long!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamehawker View Post
This is exactly why I would go with a 7mm STW.

Manageable recoil so it does not require a muzzle brake too!

I love my 7mm STWs!
Agree with both of yall! I think he should go with a STW.

Quote:
Old 03-21-2013, 09:33 AM
Platinum Member

You're welcome mud.

Gents, please remember, that 7rum might have only lasted 600 rounds (did you set it back?). You are comparing a factory barrel to the Top Tier custom barrel that Kirby uses. While Rem barrels are ok, they simply cannot compete with the custom made, hand lapped barrels.

Will an untreated 7am make it 1000 rounds? Nope, probably not. That would be the price you pay for that type of performance. It's going to be up to the OP to choose what he wants/needs. He's already got a 338 Lapua, the STW is not going to offer anything the Lapua cannot already do (minus the recoil).

t