Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

beyond the the 338?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2012, 11:18 PM
Gold Member

beyond the the 338?

The questions preface: I have a 338 edge which is my favorite rifle. Flat out, no contest. I can barely talk myself into going out without it. If I end up with the last light, last day of the season or whatever situation you can imagine where it is all or nothing. I would feel foolish to not have it on hand. This is all do to it's raw capabilities at extended ranges. Cost of shooting it is always a factor but it is still very affordable. Round count is getting high and I am preparing to purchase it's second barrel to have on stand by. She is still a tack driver but someday she won't be and I need to prepare for that inevitability. Probably build her a sister to be ready for the transition on short notice or have a back up if anything ever happened to her. .................................................. ........That being said, The question:......................The 338 edge is as far as I can see at the EDGE of diminishing returns. Weight,cost,power,drift. Is there a modest step up or are you just burning fuel because you can after that? Price IS an issue, I work for a living so price is ALWAYS an issue. Bullet selection seams very limited efficiency or extremely expensive in comparison above the 338. A precision 408 and 416 are probably too much weight and certainly too much money for the volume I want to use it for. The 50 is even worse. The 375 looked like it may be coming along but bullet supply faded out or never followed threw. More speed is available but not much and at twice the cost. Is the edge the climax of the "poor boy's extreme long range magnum" or is there something significant after it? Any opinions?
Old 06-04-2012, 12:09 AM
Platinum Member

Re: beyond the the 338?

The 338-300 RUM gets you there at a poor boys cost. that is the beauty of the cartridge. If you are familiar with it you can kill anything as far as you need to be shooting at game. The 338-378 wby does it quite a bit better but not at a poor boys price. The 378 wby does it a lot better than either with the new cutting edge .9 bc bullet but again not at a poor boys price.

My rifles are hunting rifles and not range queens. They look rough like hunting rifles and not pretty range queens. I work up a load and zero and then they shoot very few rounds per year while hunting. So based on the number of shots they get the extra cost is insignificant next to what I spend hunting each year. But like you said when the sun sets on the last day and a B&C contender walks out I have the best tool possible in my hands. The extra cost is not a concern at that point.

For example I have a 338-378 wby shooting the 260 grain .76 bc cutting edge bullet over 3300 fps like a dream. What is that kind of advantage worth? Run the ballistics. It shoots a .64 bc 225 grain cutting edge over 3500 fps. This is out of a 10.75 pound 28" barrel rifle scoped out. Can you do a lot better than a 338-300 RUM, yes. Is the cost worth it? You have to make that decision based on what you said with that trophy on the line on the last day.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:10 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

It is true that the 338 Edge is around the limits of what we could call an affordable option for long range chambering. That said, its really just the beginning of the performance relm for long range hunting. It is true that you have to pay to play. Just like when building high performance cars. For example, my current hobby is a 2010 camaro SSRS. Started out at 400 HP, it cost me around $2000 to get to 500 HP, it cost me about $8000 to get to 680 HP!!! Next step will be to get it to around 800 HP and that will cost me another $8000.

Rifles are the same way but not to quite that scale. There is easily another +500 fps possible over the 338 Edge. It may cost you twice to three times more then a 338 Edge in a modified Rem 700 but in the end, there is a performance level that makes the Edge look anemic. That is not a flame toward the Edge in any way, just a fact. As impressive as the Edge is, as capable as the Edge is, as easy to load for as the Edge is, there are other wildcats that will dramatically improve its performance and are really no more difficult to shoot or load for. You do however reduce barrel life somewhat when you increase ballistic performance but not by as much as many would think in the 338 bore size.

The trick is to find a wildcat where you do not have to spend alot of time forming wildcat brass. Go to www.apsrifles.com if your interested on the next level of performance over the Edge, or the next after that or the next level after that!!!

When you get to these ultra performance wildcats however your really looking at specialized rifle systems, not just a modded Rem 700. In the end, they are generally well worth the investment if your really looking for a precision long range weapon system.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 06-04-2012, 08:19 PM
Gold Member

Thanks Guys, That is what I expected to here. I'll stick with the edge. It is more than enough for my needs and it sounds like the top end of the actions I want to work with anyway. Thank you both for the experienced insight and ultimately.........confirmation.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:32 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

In the end, the 338 Edge is very hard to OUTGROW even for a serious long range hunter. The higher performing rounds will increase your margin of error slightly in estimating wind conditions and the increased terminal performance will help out a bit more when the hits are on the fringes but if you do your job, the 338 Edge is certainly a very capable chambering.

The pilot is often the weakest link in the equation!!! I know thats the case with me

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 06-04-2012, 09:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
It is true that the 338 Edge is around the limits of what we could call an affordable option for long range chambering. That said, its really just the beginning of the performance relm for long range hunting. It is true that you have to pay to play. Just like when building high performance cars. For example, my current hobby is a 2010 camaro SSRS. Started out at 400 HP, it cost me around $2000 to get to 500 HP, it cost me about $8000 to get to 680 HP!!! Next step will be to get it to around 800 HP and that will cost me another $8000.

Rifles are the same way but not to quite that scale. There is easily another +500 fps possible over the 338 Edge. It may cost you twice to three times more then a 338 Edge in a modified Rem 700 but in the end, there is a performance level that makes the Edge look anemic. That is not a flame toward the Edge in any way, just a fact. As impressive as the Edge is, as capable as the Edge is, as easy to load for as the Edge is, there are other wildcats that will dramatically improve its performance and are really no more difficult to shoot or load for. You do however reduce barrel life somewhat when you increase ballistic performance but not by as much as many would think in the 338 bore size.

The trick is to find a wildcat where you do not have to spend alot of time forming wildcat brass. Go to www.apsrifles.com if your interested on the next level of performance over the Edge, or the next after that or the next level after that!!!

When you get to these ultra performance wildcats however your really looking at specialized rifle systems, not just a modded Rem 700. In the end, they are generally well worth the investment if your really looking for a precision long range weapon system.
I chuckled at your comments concerning horsepower versus wallet size. You need a Gixxer. It will suck the paint off your Camaro when it screams past and costs half what your engine will, in the end. It's economy of scale and applies to rifles too.

I used to play the car game too. Bikes are so much cheaper and so much faster. It's possible to even build a potato bike to run if you have the wallet....again.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:02 PM
Gold Member

The 338 Edge and similar rounds are very tough to beat because within realistic longrangehunting distances they will get the job done with authority. When you starting talking about more power and going past a mile and even 2000 yards I start to think about just having fun and hitting rocks and steel.At those extreme ranges the accuracy isn't good enough with any round to be a serious hunting tool as far as I am concerned.Thats what makes the 338 edge. Ultra ,lapua etc so perfect because within the range I consider workable for hunting accuracy say about a 1600 yard limit those rounds have plenty of power and just make alot of sense.