Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

BEWARE, Problems with Exbal and G7 BC's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 05:05 AM
Platinum Member

Re: BEWARE, Problems with Exbal and G7 BC's

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsykes View Post
I have found a very strange thing while using nightforce exbal. this only shows up if you use the bullet database for G7 bc's.
If you run a table using standard atmospheric conditions, you get a drop that is close to actual but if you then rerun the table and change only the temperature, the long range drops go the wrong way.

what I mean is that if the temperature drops, you would expect more bullet drop at long range but with this program if you adjust the temperature down, it gives you less bullet drop at long range. Likewise if you set the temp higher, you would expect less drop but the program gives you more drop. I think this may be why your drop values are so far off.
I have run the same charts using the G1 bc.s and it seems to work correctly.

please check and give me your findings.
I've seen the exact same thing when playing with the G7 numbers. This program seems to have a few different glitchs with the G7 BC's, this one and the one the op mentioned are but a couple of them. I am not remembering at the moment what the other one or two were, because I simply quit using the G7 numbers after seeing what it did with relation to temp. Made me wonder, if it's giving errors in the wrong direction when calculating the temp, what else is it doing wrong.?? Seems the other bugs were related to some of the options tools. Trajectory Validation, or Match Sight IN Point or something along those lines, but honestly don't recall for sure. G1 works plenty close enough to 1000 yds IMO without dealing with the bugs of a software program.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:08 AM

Re: BEWARE, Problems with Exbal and G7 BC's

I got hold of Nightforce and this is the reply I got :

"what you are experiencing stems from how ExBal is designed to function as a solver. The solver/algorithm is set up to use the ASM (Army Metro System) versus the ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organization) system for calculating the affects of temperature? The G7 BC's are compatible with the ICAO system, but not the ASM? So, when using the G7 BC's in ExBal, it will only produce accurate results when using a density altitude, which functions as a "neutral" measurement that is not ICAO or ASM specific.

In summary, the G7 BC's can be used with a density altitude reading, and the G1 BC's are universal, as density altitude and standard atmospherics can be used to get accurate solutions"

so I guess if we use the denisty altitiude setting it should be OK.

cheers

Greg