Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics


Reply

In between caliber?

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8  
Old 11-26-2013, 03:59 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 6,126
Re: In between caliber?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
I vote 6.5mm

The 264 winny has a nostalgic pull for me, & since you have a mag action...

I have the six & a half Wizzum, the SAUM would be just as good for different reasons. My father shoots the 6.5-06 AI, great cartridge.


Maybe a 6.5-300win mag?


t
Now that would be nasty! Maybe a 6.5-300 Wby... Or a 7mm-300 WinMag.
__________________
"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-26-2013, 08:12 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 713
Re: In between caliber?

I love the idea of a 260 rem for the fact it is ballistically similar to my winny without the big muzzle blast, all that powder and not a barrel burner. Give me something a little cheaper to practise with. I like the idea of the 260 ai for the fact it's got a little more speed. The 6.5x47 has always caught my eye but can't see an advantage over the 260 except the brass, even though you can get lapua brass from a 308 or 243 and resize.

Those 6.5-300's would be sweet not really what I'm looking for. Guess I gotta do some research and figure out something to due
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-27-2013, 10:19 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Gillette, WY
Posts: 2,706
Re: In between caliber?

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_3479 View Post
I love the idea of a 260 rem for the fact it is ballistically similar to my winny without the big muzzle blast, all that powder and not a barrel burner. Give me something a little cheaper to practise with. I like the idea of the 260 ai for the fact it's got a little more speed. The 6.5x47 has always caught my eye but can't see an advantage over the 260 except the brass, even though you can get lapua brass from a 308 or 243 and resize.

Those 6.5-300's would be sweet not really what I'm looking for. Guess I gotta do some research and figure out something to due

Lapua does make 260 brass. The x47 is a neat little cartridge but is out horsepowered by the Creed' & 260.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/420...ton-box-of-100


t
__________________
"I, however, view ethics as an individual decision. My ethics are mine - and I won't explain or justify them to anyone else. I seek nobody's approval, just that of my own conscience. "

Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-27-2013, 10:28 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 713
Re: In between caliber?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
Lapua does make 260 brass. The x47 is a neat little cartridge but is out horsepowered by the Creed' & 260.

Lapua Reloading Brass 260 Remington Box of 100


t
Oh that's awesome! I didn't realize that! Yah I have a couple buddies that run 6.5's and one runs the 6.5-55 swed and the other just sold his 6.5 cred to get a 260 made, cause he said he's sick of no brass, no components, and no factory ammo if needed. He was the one that told me he didn't think lapua made 260 brass. But he also said to just stick with the 243 and load up 105's and be done with it.

Is there a benefit running the creed over the rem?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-27-2013, 10:37 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Gillette, WY
Posts: 2,706
Re: In between caliber?

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_3479 View Post
Oh that's awesome! I didn't realize that! Yah I have a couple buddies that run 6.5's and one runs the 6.5-55 swed and the other just sold his 6.5 cred to get a 260 made, cause he said he's sick of no brass, no components, and no factory ammo if needed. He was the one that told me he didn't think lapua made 260 brass. But he also said to just stick with the 243 and load up 105's and be done with it.

Is there a benefit running the creed over the rem?


Personally, I chose the Creed over the 260. I'm not sure what issues your buddy was having.... maybe it's geographical? Even during the crunch I was able to find Creed' brass & ammo. It is single source right now which MAY cause concern.

The creed is a shorter more efficient case. It equals 260 performance in a smaller package. Hornady brass is great but not Lapua great (it's also a heck of a lot cheaper). Factory A-Max ammo is an absolute hammer in my Creed, Federal has yet to release (at least to my knowledge) FGMM in 260. Besides the smaller companies, I can't think of any match quality ammo available for the 260.

The 6mm's are bad to the bone however, the bore life isn't as long as the 6.5's in the same case.


t
__________________
"I, however, view ethics as an individual decision. My ethics are mine - and I won't explain or justify them to anyone else. I seek nobody's approval, just that of my own conscience. "

Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-27-2013, 11:12 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 99
Re: In between caliber?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
Personally, I chose the Creed over the 260. I'm not sure what issues your buddy was having.... maybe it's geographical? Even during the crunch I was able to find Creed' brass & ammo. It is single source right now which MAY cause concern.


The 6mm's are bad to the bone however, the bore life isn't as long as the 6.5's in the same case.


t
I love the 260 and would choose it over the Creed for the very reason you stated. In a crunch, you can form brass from a 7-08, 308, or 243.

Either round (Creed, or 260) is easy on the barrel, your shoulder, and just plain fun to shoot.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-11-2013, 05:35 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 713
Re: In between caliber?

I guess I'm going to have to do a little more research. I love the idea of a 6.5 creed or like i stated before 260. Rem. what kind of velocity's are people getting out of these calibers running the 139 lapua, 140 berger and 130 berger. I was speaking to my buddy again and he's right I'm just trying to find an excuse for a new cartridge in the family, which I don't mind cause he keeps saying ballistically it would be damn close running a 260 130 vs just sticking with my 243. Win and putting some work in it an running 105+ pushed hard
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC