Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Best way to build a 338 RUM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2009, 08:41 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Best way to build a 338 RUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post

If you buy a custom action you will need =Floor metal,Mag Box. Bullet follower and
a trigger. so if you start with a $800.00+ action ,add the trigger,floor metal, watts box,

But I have to disagree with the statement that you can't
make a factory Remingtion action as good as a $800.00 dollar Custom.

First there is no custom action that cost $800.00 complete with trigger,bottom metal,mag
box and bullet follower.

Second you can buy a good used Remington in the right caliber for $450.00 to $500.00
and have it blue printed for less than $200.00 .

J E CUSTOM
JE, I respectfully disagree,

Take your now $650-$700 trued remington, and instal an m-16, extractor, then double pin a aftermarket recoil lug, then open up the scope mount holes to 8-40, instal a side bolt stop. Then have a new bolt handle installed to properly time the action and tig welded on. J-lock if equiped can be replaced as well.

Now as I said "You can't make a remington near as well for $800." So I think my statment holds water. Not everyone wants all the added features put on a remy, but what I said is still true.

I have about 20 of the first style x-mark pro triggers(without the screw that breaks the trigger) that I sell to my customers for $40. If they can't afford a $185 Jewel. Remington bottom metal and a box w follower can be bought used or new for the $125 range. Some guys don't want it anyway and go with Kwik Klips another economical detachable system, about $100.

Do I have somthing to sell? Your damm right I do. I'm a sponsor on this site and building guns and taking care of my customers is a 60+ hour job a week for me. I'm giving buckbrush the best advice I can, What I feel is the most sensible way to go, It's just advice and opinions and he can choose to follow them or not. This advice is what I believe is going to give him the best product in the end.

Now with that said if anyone finds a pre x mark pro triggered Remington for a good price, there is no reason not to build on it, many of my personal guns started as $275 ADLs

I have no problems building on Remingtons, the new ones, with x-mark have some bolt cam issues,(as in lack of) So those have all been getting sent out for tigged ptg bolt handles. But in the current state of Remingtons, I would tell a guy don't buy a new one to build on, when customs are well within their reach.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:32 PM
Platinum Member

Jim

No disrespect intended.

In fact I agree with you about the custom actions, Just not the price between the two.

I like all of the features of the custom actions but a Lot of people can't afford a custom
action build and that is why I recommended for him to make a list of all components needed
to build ether And then decide.

And as i said buy the right action and you have everything you need.

I have never had a problem with the Remington extractor and so does several million
other people who have them. of course there are exceptions with any extractor if not
installed or maintained properly.

An the comment about having nothing to sell simply meant that I would build on what ever
type of action the person wanted. And like you I want what's best for the person Not me.

I can, and have built rifles for less than $900.00 including a custom match grade ss barrel
and all they furnished was a Good donor. and they have to shoot under 1/2 MOA.

So again my intentions were not to offend you just to give the poster the 2 options instead
of only one. then let him decide what he could afford and get the rifle he wanted.

After all isn't that what this site is all about ? choices.

J E CUSTOM
Old 07-12-2009, 10:02 AM
Bronze Member

I have been thinking some about one of these also. I have a new factory take-off SS 24" barrel and a donor action and magazine box ready, but I just haven't done it yet.

Craig
Old 12-02-2009, 07:25 AM
Platinum Member

I am also very interested in shooting the Berger 250 VLD. It has a BC that is slightly higher than the 300 SMK and might perform better for hunting with its higher speeds. The one thing that hasn't been addressed is the reamer and seating that long VLD into the confines of the magazine. I am waiting to get my hands on the bullet first and then go from there.

Last edited by AZShooter; 12-02-2009 at 07:27 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-03-2009, 02:18 AM
Platinum Member

Why not let remington build it for you. My off the shelf rem 700 stainless in 338 ultramag shoots 225 accubonds 3264 fps into 4" groups at 750 yards. All I did was bed it and freefloat the barrel. Cabelas had them for $569 over the weekend with a 3-12 scope and a hard gun case. You will gain very little in velocity with the 28" barrel but quite a bit in weight since you must go up in barrel diameter to get equal stiffness with a longer barrel. The 338 ultramag is an excellent cartridge for long range.