Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Best varmint sized auto loader?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2014, 09:50 PM

Best varmint sized auto loader?

Which varmint sized up to say .243 auto loader has best accuracy/durability characteristics new or old? I am not an AR fan as they are just too bulky to carry for my likes. I prefer a sporter style for carry.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:39 PM
Gold Member

Re: Best varmint sized auto loader?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqdqo View Post
Which varmint sized up to say .243 auto loader has best accuracy/durability characteristics new or old? I am not an AR fan as they are just too bulky to carry for my likes. I prefer a sporter style for carry.
I don't see how an AR is bulky, but anyways, what kind of accuracy are you talking about and how far are you shooting?
Old 01-31-2014, 11:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqdqo View Post
I would vote for the 22/250 or a 220 Swift in a short action bolt gun. High velocity and accuracy
are normal in these two cartridges.

Auto loaders are good for lots of rounds but most are just not as accurate as bolt guns, And besides ,
the second shot is almost never as good as the first shot and accurate follow up shots are just as fast as gas guns.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM
Old 02-01-2014, 03:51 AM
Platinum Member

I buddy of mine used a Browning Auto rifle very successfully on coyotes for several years. The smallest caliber that it is available in is 243Win. Other than that and the Mini 14 Riger and the AR styled rifles I'm not aware too many others in those calibers.. For coyotes using autos, I think the AR15 platform is hard to beat. iMO.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt

Last edited by Greyfox; 02-01-2014 at 03:53 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-01-2014, 09:14 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
I buddy of mine used a Browning Auto rifle very successfully on coyotes for several years. The smallest caliber that it is available in is 243Win. Other than that and the Mini 14 Riger and the AR styled rifles I'm not aware too many others in those calibers.. For coyotes using autos, I think the AR15 platform is hard to beat. iMO.
+1 ARs are nice.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:09 AM
Gold Member

Try to find a Winchester Model 100. They chambered it in 243, 308 and 284 Winchester. It's short, light and fairly accurate for an automatic. I think they were made by Sako for Winchester.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:37 AM
Platinum Member

The Browning auto rifle is the most accurate out of the box auto loading sporting type rifle I have ever shot except for the AR platform. Like has been said smallest caliber is 243 Win.