Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Best Shot placement on big game

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2014, 05:50 PM
Gold Member

Best Shot placement on big game

I have been going back and fourth with a Friend who has a different view than I do on most things pretaining to Rifles, barrels, and Cartridge choice. However the one thing he wont deviate from is bullet placement. For him its either the neck or head and finds it frustrating why anyone would place the bullet any other place. He never has nor will he ever shoot a big game animal anyther place that the neck or head. This subject for him is closed

So what is your prefered bullet placement location................all things considered?
Old 06-11-2014, 05:54 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Best Shot placement on big game

I almost always shoot for the dimple directly behind the shoulder. No real meat loss, and will double-lung, and more often than not, get the heart as well.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:23 PM
Gold Member

Depends on bullet, cartridge, and range but either directly on the shoulder or slightly behind it where Mud shoots them. This really busts them up and they don't go far.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:29 PM
Silver Member

If I can I will go for the shoulder of a deer. They usually don't go more than 15 yards after being hit. And my second option would be right behind the shoulder. Takes out the lungs like what has been mentioned.

Jason
Old 06-11-2014, 06:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Duerr View Post
I have been going back and fourth with a Friend who has a different view than I do on most things pretaining to Rifles, barrels, and Cartridge choice. However the one thing he wont deviate from is bullet placement. For him its either the neck or head and finds it frustrating why anyone would place the bullet any other place. He never has nor will he ever shoot a big game animal anyther place that the neck or head. This subject for him is closed

So what is your prefered bullet placement location................all things considered?
I have shot lots of game in the head because of caliber, because they would not drop the game in there tracts if shot in the boiler room.

The problem with this type shot is that there heads are seldom still and the neck is a small target
and poor hits are common. leaving the game to die a slow painful death. so a perfect shot is necessary every time. being a good shot is not the only requirement for good clean kills every time.

If you place the correct bullet for the game in the center of the chest it will die.

With all of the outside influences the perfect shot is not always possible but a good shot is or it shouldn't be taken.

Another reason I like the chest shot is it bleeds out the meat better than a head shot. also bullet performance is more predictable with a chest shot.

I do have one exception though, If I encounter a trophy I will normally shoot the shoulder to drop him where he stands and not worry about meat loss.

I like/enjoy taking running shots when I need to and the Head/neck shot is out of the question.

So My opinion for what it's worth is, take shots that you are most proficient at and pass on the other.

If your friend is happy with his choice then let him have at it.

This is a long range hunting site and most of the good/best shots will normally take the chest/shoulder shot at longer ranges.

The hunter has to make his choice and then live with his choice.

Just my opinion

PS I shoot hogs anywhere I can (I like to make them squeal if I cant drop them in there tracts). Ha Ha.

J E CUSTOM
Old 06-11-2014, 07:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post

PS I shoot hogs anywhere I can (I like to make them squeal if I cant drop them in there tracts). Ha Ha.

J E CUSTOM
You can probably take their tail off to get them started then finish them on the run. No malice intended I believe you can, just a humorous picture that jumped in my head.

I don't shoot enough game to be cocky or particular.

My problem with the head shot is folks that believe it's a clean kill, or a clean miss. A few years ago I killed a bunch of feral cats off some property for a friend. All but one went well. Using an accurate .22, and good rest, I didn't account for the steep down hill, placed the shot where I wanted, and took off the lower jaw. Spent the next few days trying to get another shot on a pretty miserable cat.

My mistake, and while I haven't tried a head shot on game I have seen similar end results. I think if it hasn't happened to your friend yet it will.

With a few exceptions, tags are too few and far between for most of us to take the head shot approach.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:20 PM
Platinum Member

I bet your friend doesn't shoot at game from a very far distance. This is a longrange site as others have said so most everyone here would not take headshots at distances that we shoot at. Now at 100-150 yards and waiting for the right moment, a head shot will work. I go for both lungs when I shoot big game. Some people go for breaking the shoulder and getting the vitals but that just isn't for me. I don't have any fault with them doing it, I just choose to go through the softer tissue, ribs and into the lungs.

I think this topic and many like it have been discussed and argued extensively on here. If you do a search, you can find them.