Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Best short barrel long range calibre?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2011, 05:54 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Best short barrel long range calibre?

It's a balance, and it isn't about velocity.
There is less whip with shorter barrels, but higher muzzle pressures.
This results in a window of best overall performance for different cartridges.
A window where accuracy is best.

Otherwise every gun would naturally be built on stiff 22" barrels like the relatively tiny 6ppc.
But if you built a 6ppc in either 18" or 26" even it would lose competitive performance that you could not recover with load development. It would languish outside it's performance balance.
Factories sacrifice performance for practicality in field carry. Their accuracy standards are also inline with general masses rather than actual LR hunter needs.
Same with 'tactical' gunbuilders. The average LE/SWAT sniper use occurs around 80yds, and the last thing they need is to lug around a 'competitive' barrel for this.
On the flipside, every year I visit the Williamsport WO(1Kyd comp) and see hundreds BR boomers, and I don't see any with stubby barrels. They typically range from 28" to 34".
NEVER will you see a competitive 1kyd magnum used with a 22" barrel, and it's not because they need velocity. It's because they need bullets cleanly released, and with low ES.
The only way to get both is to burn as much powder as they can INSIDE the bore.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:40 AM
Platinum Member

This could be a case of the chicken and the egg. But in this case I am designing the rifle to suit my needs and then picking the best cartridge to suit the rifle.
So the barrel is going to be about 25" plus a brake. I have a Sako action spare and am looking at building a .338 calibre rifle based on the .375 Ruger case.

The .338 Norma looks interesting but cases are very hard to come by down here. This is not so with .375 Ruger cases as they are plentiful and cheap for some reason.

Any other ideas? I am open to suggestions.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:55 AM
Platinum Member

My preliminary testing with the 338 sin looked good out of a 24" barrel. 338 Dakota brass to fireform is easy to get and good brass. By this weekend I should have quite a few rounds down the tube. I will post the results. It is an easy fit on standard mag actions with no modifications.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:04 PM
Silver Member

+1 on the norma great round ESP in a shorter bbl I like it as much if not more than my lapua
D