Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Best shooting .308's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2013, 12:47 PM

Best shooting .308's

Hey everyone,

I am getting ready to build a hunting rifle and I have decided on the.308. Now I cant figure out which one to go with. I do know that I want a heavy barrel. I will be using this gun mostly for whitetail but occasionally I will go to the mountains and have to take some longer shots. Whats everyones opinions on the most accurate .308?

Thanks
Old 10-14-2013, 01:17 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Best shooting .308's

Rem 700 5R MilSpec .308 with a 24" barrel.

Mine will stack 24 shots inside of 1.3" with handloads.

This measurement was before corrected grouping of 1.286" (have to subract for caliber size). And it probably would have been just under 1" if I had not shot that last flier to the right trying to knock all the orange out of the bull...Then again, at the time I wasn't realizing what I had done. It didn't hit home until after I had squeezed the trigger.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:08 PM

What kind of scope do you have on yours? Is there a big advantage or any at all from the 24 to 26 inch barrel?
Old 10-14-2013, 02:17 PM
Platinum Member

I've had a 20 and a 24 on my .308's, and while the 20 was a 1K tack-driver, the 24 is also nice with the added velocity and stabilizing bigger heavier bullets.

So, I'd have to say that from now on my .308's will be 24-26" barrels.

The scope was a cheap-o with good mounts, but it's help zero no problems, and it's even holding a good zero on my big 7mm STW. While it's not the nicest scope in the world, and as long as you realize that going into it, you'll be ok.

I used a Konus M-30 8.5-32x52 scope. With an EGW HD (aluminum) 0-MOA base. And TPS TSR (aluminum) 30mm Low-height rings.

Here's a pic with it all set up.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 10-14-2013, 03:38 PM

What do you know about these? I am hung up on the 26inch barrel

Centerfire Rifle - Model 700 Varmint SF - Remington Centerfire Rifles
Old 10-14-2013, 03:43 PM
Silver Member

best shooting would equal one being built by a good gun smith.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaught View Post
What do you know about these? I am hung up on the 26inch barrel

Centerfire Rifle - Model 700 Varmint SF - Remington Centerfire Rifles
That would be an excellent LR .308 gun...However, if you do go that route, you'll need to chunk that plastic SPS stock in the garbage, and get a B&C Medalist, H.S. Precision, or something of that nature with a full aluminum bedding block in it. For example, a Remington 5R, Sendero, Sendero II, VSSF or VSSF II take-off stock. You can usually pick one up for $300 buck or so, and they all have full aluminum bedding block in them.

The 5R MilSpec (what mine is) comes from the factory sitting in a nice high-end H.S. Precision stock with a full aluminum bedding block in it. Which is mainly where you major price difference comes from, to recoop for the stock cost.

Quote: