Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Best Scope Leveling System...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 03:00 PM
Silver Member

Best Scope Leveling System...

Just wanted to get some opinions of the group on the best system for ensuring your reticle is level when mounting a new scope. There are several systems out there, some expensive some not.

I'm currently doing a build that will be completed with a huskemaw scope and want to get it right.

Thoughts?
Old 01-16-2013, 06:15 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Best Scope Leveling System...

I think the best is Scoplevel Anti Cant Leveling Device
This puts your SCOPE level, which is all that matters(not the rifle).
It is also easy to see -straight on- from firing position(the others aren't).
With it you can level your adjustments(if adjusting your scope in the field), or merely your cross hair(if holding over in the field). Once set, as mounted, it stays with the scope forevermore, from gun to gun.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:44 PM

I don't know what's best, but what has worked well for me is a combination of things used together. I use a stack of feeler gauges between the scope rail and the flat spot on the bottom of the turret to remove all space between them, thus ensuring they are parallel to each other while tightening the ring halves. Next, I put up a plumb bob line out about 40 or 50 yds. away, and put a small bubble level on top of the elevation turret. I then use the bubble level to level up the rifle/scope while looking through the scope and checking the crosshairs against the vertical plumb line. If everything cross-checks, I'm satisfied. This method makes a few assumptions, but with quality products those assumptions usually bear-out to be valid.

I recently bought a Wheeler Level-Level-Level system to try on my newest rifle, but it turned out the action of the .338LM was too big/wide for the rifle level portion of the system, which is supposed to lie across the action rails, so I wasn't able to use it.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh20 View Post
I don't know what's best, but what has worked well for me is a combination of things used together. I use a stack of feeler gauges between the scope rail and the flat spot on the bottom of the turret to remove all space between them, thus ensuring they are parallel to each other while tightening the ring halves. Next, I put up a plumb bob line out about 40 or 50 yds. away, and put a small bubble level on top of the elevation turret. I then use the bubble level to level up the rifle/scope while looking through the scope and checking the crosshairs against the vertical plumb line. If everything cross-checks, I'm satisfied. This method makes a few assumptions, but with quality products those assumptions usually bear-out to be valid.
Pretty much my method also.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:43 PM
Platinum Member

I do it differently and the way I do it, most guys won't be able to, but some will...

I use a milling machine table (which is flat and level in both X and Y axis because it's leveled with machinery levels to 0.005"/foot, in conjuction with
Setup V blocks to rest the rifle in. I rest the rifle in the V blocks, use a machinist level to level the rifle (across the receiver) to the table and clamp it with hold down clamps and set the scope in the previously lapped and aligned rings and then level the scope itself using a machinists level across the upper turret. before I remove the rifle I add a bubble level to the scope tube and align that.

Sounds complicated but it really isn't. Problem is, you need a milling machine or an engine late bed with sufficient length to fit the rifle.

For all practical purposes, that puts my reticle cross (can't say cross hairs because most are etched nowdays) marks at true horizontal and 90 degrees.

I need a level on each rifle because I have a tendency to twist my rifle to the side when shooting. Must be because I'm polish or something......
Old 01-17-2013, 12:38 AM
Platinum Member

I use a Wheeler kit to level the rifle off the bolt rails, and the turret. I then use a Bushnell collimator to line up the vertical crosshair with the vertical ine in the grid. I confirm the crosshair is lined either the center of the bore. I then elevate my turret while the rifle is level, 25 MOA of elevation to test for allignment of the crosshair and the gridline. If the scope is canted, the crosshair will run off angle. Also check turret movement at the same time. I then mount my scope cant devise. Finally, when sighting in at 100 yards, I shoot a 36" plumbed line target, 5 shots at zero, 5 shots, 25 MOA elevation and check that the two groups are on the line. Also, measure the distance between the two groups to check the turret accuracy. Done several rifles over the years. Except for a bad scope, the rest didn't need readjustment at the range using this system.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 01-17-2013, 05:10 AM
Silver Member

Thanks for the help! This sport can be as confusing as you want it to be sometimes.