Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

BEST ROUND FOR 1000 YARD TARGETS?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2003, 08:46 PM

Re: BEST ROUND FOR 1000 YARD TARGETS?

demarpaint

If I were building a light conditions gun in .243 imp. I would choose about a 26" barrel mainly because the brake would operate at a higher pressure, and the historical accuracy at around this length is unbelievablely consistant, I say this with confidence, because I have chambered so many of them.

For the heavy conditions gun, I would go with the 30" barrel because I do not see the last 1/20 MOA deciding much in any serious wind condition. So many calibers shoot so well, I believe any choice with quality brass and well made bullets will be competetive, just look at the records, nothing really dominates for very long. I totally disagree with most of the 1,000 yard boys, about having to have a gunsmith that has built champion rifles, we have 12 gunsmiths that shoot at our club that can build a 1/4 minute gun. Five of these guys have won National championships with guns they built with their own hands, and some even made their own bullets. One is a five time gold Medalist at the bench rest World Championships. You could hand any one of these guys a Rule Book for the class you want to compete in, and they would build you a great rifle, most of them have known guys like Ferris and Walt Berger for years, and have attended 1,000 yard matches over the years.

I would say find yourself an honest gunsmith that you trust, that has built really competetive rifles in some discipline, and won't take a year to get you your rifle. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2003, 10:10 PM
Platinum Member

[ 03-14-2004: Message edited by: BountyHunter ]
Old 01-11-2003, 10:33 PM

I just can't resist.

So I guess if Ferris Pindell offered to make you a thousand yard gun you should turn him down, because his guns have not recently won a thousand yard contest?

How About Tony Boyer's Gunsmith? Just not good enough?

Each gunsmith earned his status at some point, his first title somehow. There are 1,000 guns in this country that ride the bags real nice, just because they have a 14 twist on them rather than a 9 twist does not make the gunsmith inferior.

If a guy does not have the reamer you need he will tell you, its is only a phone call away. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2003, 07:08 AM
Silver Member

A lot of great information here, many thanks and keep it coming. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I was considering a Savage or Remington Action (I have both to use as donors), but I guess if I seriously decide to compete with it the custom action is the way to go. Boy is this fun!!!!!! I guess I could build another off a custom action if I finally do compete........ LOL, I wonder what the wife will think?? She's been great to this point!!!!!

Thanks
Frank D [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2003, 08:30 AM

Bounty hunter said everything about calibers I would have said. The same calibers are winning consistently at 1000yds.
Old 01-12-2003, 07:32 PM
Silver Member

BH,

You said, "7mm is coming on with JLk 168 and 180 bullets. Look at 7WSM and 7 Rem Mag with 1-9 twist barrels."

Can you expand on this?

I've been looking at a 7WSM for long range prone (highpower). I've heard that brass quality has been an issue for 7WSM, but Norma is now making 300WSM, and necked down, it would have a longer neck which IMHO is an advantage. I've also heard that the consistence of the bullets (not cartacucio's or JLK's) has not been up to snuff and guys have been getting frustrated trying to get them to work, as well as supply drying up.

The 280AI has come up in conversations,, but I don't like to fire form.

My goal is to find a cartdridge for NRA Highpower long range prone that will shoot with or better than the 6.5x284's and get 2000 rounds without the need for a set back. It also MUST have light recoil. We hold the rifles up for 30 minutes at a time and even light recoil beats up the lead wrist. Brakes are not allowed, and pain is not conducive to accuracy. (except in SpeedBumps case!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] )

Any thoughts?

FatBoy...
Old 01-14-2003, 05:50 AM
Silver Member

Pain focuses the mind & dulls the senses. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

IMHO, pick one of the many calibers that fit your parameters, build it, then SHOOT the sucker without worrying over the caliber again. Give it one full season, then do an assessment. Lots of good advice above.