Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Best Out of the Box Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-20-2009, 10:31 AM
Platinum Member
Re: Best Out of the Box Rifle

I'd buy a Rem 700 Sendero. If it shoots like most of them, you have money left over, otherwise it's a great platform to build upon.

I did a quick look at Gunbroker and saw the following:
Remington 700 Sendero 300 Win w Leupold Tactical : Bolt Action at

It's a Sendero in 300Win Mag with a VXIII scope currently at $800, if you could get it for under $1000, you could sell the scope/rings and have plenty left over for a rebarrel if required.

If some is good and more is better, then too much is just right.

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives

Unread 07-27-2009, 02:08 AM
Silver Member

Not many people have them yet, but take a look at the savage 110 FCP-K in 300win mag. Savage Arms Model 10FP

Looks like a hell of lot of gun for the money, and should be very accurate out of the box, need some more to owners to give some range reports...
Unread 07-27-2009, 08:41 AM
Silver Member

Out of the box Quality/price/availability--- Stevens or Savage. has a Stevens 300 WSM or 300 Mag for $350. Only major difference between the Savage and the Stevens made by Savage is the Stevens doesn't have the Accutrigger. A have a bunch and they all shoot well out of the box.

Unread 07-27-2009, 09:35 AM
Platinum Member

Sako's typically have great out-of-the-box accuracy. I'm surprised that MontanaRifleman had such a bad experience. I sure hope his repair experience with Sako goes better than mine did with Winchester. I guess it just goes to show that there is no perfectly consistent rifle manufacturer out there today. You pay your money and take your chances. Occasionally, you will get a Sako that cannot even hold 2 MOA consistently, but then you may also get a lower end, no-name rifle that will shoot lights-out all day long.

Although not mentioned as often here at LRH, the Browning A-bolt seems to have very good accuracy right out of the box. You can usually pick a new one up for $650-$700. Too soon to know much about their x-bolt. A Tikka/Sako will run you about $525. Accuracy should be very good as well, but parts (other than action/barrel) are not as substantial. The standard Remington, Winchester, Savage, Ruger, Browning and Weatherby rifles all have their following. They also have those who have had bad experiences with them.

For me, the least risky roll of the dice would be a Rem Sendero or a Sako, with the nod going to the Sendero. There is just more aftermarket customization that can be done to the Rem 700 action than most other makes.
Unread 07-27-2009, 03:28 PM
Bronze Member

It would be easy to find a Weatherby Vanguard Sub-MOA in 300 win or 300 wby. It would also leave you with plenty of money for good glass and practice ammo.
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is people who do stuff do stuff.

Unread 07-27-2009, 10:14 PM
Platinum Member

accumark is lighter than a sendero. depends what weight you want. i would get a vais no matter which one you get
Unread 07-28-2009, 07:39 PM
Platinum Member

Im not a fan of Savages, just a prefrence thing. If you want a nice rifle I would stick to the Accumark or Senduro. I personally love the Mark V action, but I'm in the minority there as most like the Remingtons. If you want a hunting/long range rifle go with the weatherby. if you want a longrange rifle get the senduro. I wouldnt go with the Savage or Sako because of the stock. the senduro and accumark both have arimid fiber stocks, and i know that the senduro's have an aluminum bedding block. get the .340 wby instead of the .300 just because there awsome.