Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Best Out of the Box Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2009, 04:17 PM

Best Out of the Box Rifle

I am looking for some help to pick out my new hunting rifle. I will be going on a ram hunt in South Texas and an elk hunt in Colorado this year for the first time. I have been looking at the Weatherby Mark V Accumark 300 Wby, Sako Finnlight 300 Win and Thompson Center Icon Weathershield 300 Win. I plan to put a muzzle break on what ever rifle I go with. I have been having a hard time trying to find a Sako Finnlight. Any info and opinions on the best rifle without doing alot of upgrades will be helpful. I am trying to stay in the $1500 or less range. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:05 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Best Out of the Box Rifle

For $1500 you could go semi-custom.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:05 PM
Bronze Member

what distance are you comfortable shooting from? If its 500 or less you may not need to spend the money on a semi-custom but if you want to go further or just want the best you can afford semi-custom would be the ticket
Old 07-19-2009, 11:50 PM
Platinum Member

Hard to go wrong with the 300 Wby in an Accumark. With handloaded 200 grain Accubonds it is a very capable long range rig. Mine has the factory Accubrake and it is very easy to shoot.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:20 AM

I sure I will be staying under 500 yds. What kind of semi-customs are you talking about. Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:58 AM
Platinum Member

Semi-custom means you take an inexpensive rifle like a Rem700 SPS or a Savage and use the action from the rifle. Then using aftermarket components, build the rifle the way you want it to be. Two my rifles are examples:

My 280 - Updated!

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ld-pics-43510/
Old 07-20-2009, 08:33 AM
Platinum Member

I bought a 300 WSM Finnlight last year. IT's a very nice rifle and I like the action very much.

However, I dont like the cheap plastic stock and it doesn't shoot well. Currently I am getting about 2-4 MOA out if it with a numerous variety of factory and handloads. Sent it to the factory once and they sent it back saying that they cleaned it and fired and shot a .9" 5 shot group. They provided a computer generated target (no bullet hole). I find it curious that they basically said it was a dirty gune since I broke the barrel-in cleaning aftre each shot for 13 shots, then cleaning after each 3-5 shots for load development and cleaning after each differnt powder/bullet combination. It never went more than 20 rounds without a cleaning and I soaked it several times with Wipeout at home after range sessions. I gave it a good Wipeout cleaning before I sent it back to the factory. To say that I am disappointed is an understatement. I am sending it back once again with a letter. We will see what happens.

If I was looking for an out of the box rifle, it would be a Sendero. And if elk hunting, it would be in 7mm RUM or 300 RUM leaning to the 300.

-MR