Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Best match barrels??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2001, 04:29 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Best match barrels??

Seems to me that if you start with a top-end barrel such as any of the ones mentioned, and I would add Mike Rock to that list (no doubt there are a few more) you will have the basics of a good shooter.

Your smith is the key to accuracy today since anyone can purchase a super barrel, Jewel trigger, McMillan stock, Nightforce scope, Badger Ord. mounts and pick up a case of Black Hills Ammo, Winchester Competition Supreme or Federal Gold Match - all of this stuff is readily available and will contribute to sub 1/2 minute accuracy.

The magic is trueing the action, tuning the trigger, installing the barrel with a perfect chamber, throat and crown, then pillar-bedding it with absolute perfection. A fine rifle builder once told me that accuracy is a matter of putting all of the best components and parts together with enough skill to extract their potential.

I am always in awe of the shooter who claims that he can achieve 1/2 minute accuracy from his rifle and ammo despite the fact that he only shoots one or two boxes of ammo a year.