Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Best longrange hunting bullet for 7mm mag?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 01:57 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Best longrange hunting bullet for 7mm mag?

I'll keep you posted, I'm working up a load with the 180gr Hybrids now. All Iv'e done so far is look for pressures. I loaded up 10 starting at 68gr of retumbo, and increased each charge by 0.5gr. I stopped shooting at 71.5gr. The 1st round being on a clean barrel went high but the other 6 different charges all stayed inside of an inch. I'll clarify I shot all 7 at the same POA and got a group barring the 1st of under and inch with each shot at a different charge weight. I wasn't even trying to shoot a group just looking for pressures, yea I was floored with what I saw, I'm really really wanting to know what the end load will capable of.

CMON weather warm up a little lol
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 01-23-2013, 08:23 PM
Silver Member

Shoot what you have the most confidence in. I would not be comfortable with a bullet I was afraid to put right through the shoulder so I would shoot the 160 accubonds
Old 01-23-2013, 09:23 PM
Bronze Member

What kind of velocities are you getting from the 180's? I've never shot the 180's but have alot of experience with the 168 VLD. I never went to the 180 b/c I thought that going with a higher bc, but a lower velocity would kind of make it a wash. Is this true?
Old 01-24-2013, 01:16 AM
Platinum Member

yes and no. In general lighter bullets carry a velocity advantage, but after some distance the heavier Higher BC bullet catches up, as for wind drift the heavier bullet almost always bucks the wind better at any distance, and the heavier bullet will generally carry more energy at all ranges.

As for my MV, I have no Idea I've only started load workup.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 01-24-2013, 07:10 PM
Platinum Member

I have never killed anything with the 180VLD's yet in my 7WSM, but they are extremely accurate!
Old 01-24-2013, 07:31 PM
Silver Member

What is yor load with 180 VLD bullets I am looking to try them out.also what is your COAL. I will start a few grains less and work up
Old 01-25-2013, 01:09 PM

Back to original question , What about the 162 Amax? Is anybody using the como of 162 amax and H1000?