Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

best Long Range Caliber for big game! please look

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2011, 06:32 PM
Platinum Member

Re: best Long Range Caliber for big game! please look

I haven't read any of this thread and don't know if I commented or not. But I read your original and here is what I would get over the counter. A 338 winchester Tikka T-3 Light if you do not want a brake. A remington 700 in 338 RUM if you don't mind a brake. My wife shoots both of these with no problem. The 338 winchester tikka is a pure pleasure to shoot and will kill anything you listed aa far as you can hit it. 800 yard shots with mine are trivial. One shot and down on every animal you listed.

If you want to spend a little more get a used 338-378 wby accumark at cabelas for $1100 or so and you are at the top end of a hunting rifle. Mine shoots the 225 grain bullet 3460 fps and with the .640 BC of the cutting edge bullet look at the ballistics on that. It is incredible. From 40 years experience those three are really good just depending on the money you want to spend and how much horsepower you want. I have about everything and if I was buying a one rifle do all over the counter these three are my choices loaded with the 225 CE bullet.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Time Long Ranger View Post
I have about everything and if I was buying a one rifle do all over the counter these three are my choices loaded with the 225 CE bullet.
Does this mean you have tested the CE bullets?
Old 05-17-2011, 08:26 AM
Platinum Member

Kirby----That was an outstanding post and should be a sticky! Many people have a poor grasp of how recoil can be mitigated!
Old 05-17-2011, 09:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Hoss View Post
Kirby----That was an outstanding post and should be a sticky! Many people have a poor grasp of how recoil can be mitigated!
+1 Excellent read! Excellent info!
Old 05-17-2011, 12:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot E View Post
+1 Excellent read! Excellent info!

+2, Very well explained Kirby, thank you for that.

LTLR I would like to see some more info on the CE bullets as well.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:49 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
She was wearing a set of my electronic hearing protectors and I was able to give her quiet, calm instructions the whole time. She was also able to ask me any question she had without yelling and there was no problem at all with any muzzle blast hurting her ears.
Interesting post. Electronic hearing protectors is something I don't know much about. Can you recommend a brand and model?
Old 05-17-2011, 01:57 PM
Platinum Member

I have not shot game with the CE bullets. I prefer the monometal bullets for hunting purposes to drive through any animal at any shot angle and kill it. No fragmenting, no BS, just kills stuff. I don't care if the petals fly off. Supposing they do it is not important. I still have 95%+ of the bullet driving through the animal instead of worthless fragments with many lead core bullets. The CE is a solid copper bullet which is the type bullet I prefer to shoot at all large big game.

I have talked to several guys who have shot cutting edge bullets working up loads and the BC's seem to be accurate and the bullets are very accurate. I will be testing them on all kinds of game around North America this fall if the accuracy is there. I am doing accuracy and BC testing with the 225grain number 62 bullet over the next couple months. From the guys I have talked to the BC's may actually be a little on the low side with some bullets.

Sorry I have no information to give right now but I will report on what I find during testing. Sometimes all the hype is accurate and sometimes not with new bullets. But everyone knows whatever it is I always report it accurately as I shot it in my rifles. I have all kinds of cartridges and all kinds of bullets and no dog in any fight in this industry. So everyone will get it accurately with anything I test.

For guys not familiar with Cutting Edge bullets they are very interesting and radical with their design. They integrate new technology into their design that I have never seen or shot. They are a solid copper bullet that advertises a softer copper. This could help with less pressure build up and better expansion. They offer high BC hunting bullets in most calibers and I hope to try several over the next year if the initial 338 testing goes well. If the .640-.645 BC holds true for the 225 grain bullet it would make quite a long range performer in any 338. Even down to the 338 winchester pushing the 225 at 2950 fps it would easily be a nice 1000 yard elk rifle. Out of a 338-378 wby at over 3400 fps it would be awesome to over 1000 yards. Depending on the caliber they cost $1-$1.25 each.