Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

best long range caliber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2009, 04:30 PM
Bronze Member

best long range caliber

What do you think is the best long range caliber for hunting and shooting?

thank
nate
Old 03-24-2009, 04:47 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: best long range caliber

It depends on your definition of long range AND the size of the targets being hunted.

Are we talking prarie dogs at a mile, a moose at a mile or a deer at 800 yards?
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:05 PM
Gold Member

After more research than I care to admit to, I chose the 7mm SAUM for my build. I will be pushing the 180 gr Berger VLD, out of a 28" barrel, around 2950 fps. I believe this is a wicked combo for the deer, elk, and antelope here in western SD and eastern WY.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:10 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JARHEAD1371 View Post
After more research than I care to admit to, I chose the 7mm SAUM for my build. I will be pushing the 180 gr Berger VLD, out of a 28" barrel, around 2950 fps. I believe this is a wicked combo for the deer, elk, and antelope here in western SD and eastern WY.
Great choice! I chose the 7mm WSM, and it was essentially a dead heat between the two until I found a great deal on the WSM.

But the original poster left way too man unanswered questions before we can give him a good answer.

Bill

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

http://waitesandbalances.blogspot.com/
Old 03-24-2009, 07:18 PM
Platinum Member

because i have shot "one" groundhog at long range, and i know it also works great on elk, i'm gonna say 338!
Old 03-24-2009, 10:04 PM
Silver Member

.375 long fast bullet
Old 03-24-2009, 10:07 PM
Platinum Member

Not sure there is a "best" caliber. There are so many cartridges out there right now that fill this bill for so many hunters/shooters. It would be easier if your definition of hunting and shooting were more specific (.i.e., hunting deer at 600yds & <, or elk hunting, varminting, informal target shooting, F-class, etc.). One size may fit all, but few stick with just one, especially me.
I have shot the 7mmRemMag for about 15yrs and it does what I have asked of it. I have also shot the .300WinMag off and on for about the same timeframe and it also delivers, with a bit more authority. I shoot them both regularly to 600yds and they're both still full of steam at that range and rairin' to go.
So many to choose from and so little time. Good luck. JohnnyK.