Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Best Lightweight Rifle under $2,000?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2010, 05:44 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Best Lightweight Rifle under $2,000?

Chris: I did not mention Kimber because I cannot recommend them. Several years ago, I bought a Model94 Kimber in .308. Pretty little rifle, and with my mini Leupold 3-9x, weighs about 6 1/2 lbs. But it has been returned to the factory three times. The pillars were not straight; they replaced the stock with new pillars included. A burr was found in the bore; replaced the barrel and when rounds were loaded in the magazine, with first shot, the magazine opened and shells fell to ground. They fixed that as well. But, after 250 rounds, I still get heavy bluing from the barrel and accuracy is not good. I would not buy another Kimber and cannot recommend it to others.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:55 AM
Silver Member

Gene,

No worries We've all had a bad apple at one time or another. I once bought a new Remington 700 LSS as a Christmas gift for my father. We were both pleased until I couldn't get the scope, a new Vari X-III to get even close with a boresighter.

After almost an hour of mounting everything and then taking it apart again, I finally decided that it wasn't me, it had to be something with the rifle. Turned out that the holes for the bases had been drilled off center. I had to send it back to Remington to get it fixed. 8 weeks later, they sent it back with a new action. Then, the rifle wouldn't group consistently. I ended up sending it back 4 times total.

Like I said, if you buy enough, you're going to get a bad one every once in a while. Price doesn't matter either. I had a friend who had to send his Benelli back because it was shooting a great pattern, but the pattern was 18" low and 18" to the left at 30 yards! Turns out that the barrel was bored off center.

Chris
Old 11-22-2010, 01:17 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide View Post
Gene,

No worries We've all had a bad apple at one time or another. I once bought a new Remington 700 LSS as a Christmas gift for my father. We were both pleased until I couldn't get the scope, a new Vari X-III to get even close with a boresighter.

After almost an hour of mounting everything and then taking it apart again, I finally decided that it wasn't me, it had to be something with the rifle. Turned out that the holes for the bases had been drilled off center. I had to send it back to Remington to get it fixed. 8 weeks later, they sent it back with a new action. Then, the rifle wouldn't group consistently. I ended up sending it back 4 times total.

Like I said, if you buy enough, you're going to get a bad one every once in a while. Price doesn't matter either. I had a friend who had to send his Benelli back because it was shooting a great pattern, but the pattern was 18" low and 18" to the left at 30 yards! Turns out that the barrel was bored off center.

Chris
Good for shooting around corners ! lol

Ranger Jim
Old 11-22-2010, 04:29 PM
Gold Member

Check into Cooper rifles. They are chambered in mostly non magnum cartridges but they come with a .5 moa guarantee. You should be able to pick one up for less than 2,000 no problem.