Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Best lead-free bullet for L.R.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-11-2009, 11:45 AM
Bronze Member
Re: Best lead-free bullet for L.R.

Thanks for all of the comments. I will do a search on the GS bullets.

Hunting other zones is not appealing to me, as the areas I currently hunt are practically in my back yard, and I know them well from 20 years of backpack hunting.

I would not bring this up on other forums because I would just be told that I have no buisness taking shots on big game past 100 yards.

Unread 10-16-2009, 12:30 PM
Official LRH Sponsor
Re: Best lead-free bullet for L.R.

I shot the 180g 30cal E-tips last year. I was very happy with the performance. I switched this year to the 177g GS HV because of the bc's, and the on game performance that I have personally experienced with other weight GS bullets.

The rifles that I have tried them in with free bore have been hit and miss with tuning. Just got done trying a 7 Ultramag and gave up. We decided to save the bullets for a different 7mm that doesn't have the free bore. The bullets are too hard to get, and too expensive to spend too many shots on load development. JMHO. The problem with getting them right now is the US Government causing problems with the importing of foreign bullets. Hopefully that will get ironed out. If they were easier to get I would be more apt to send more down range. We've got 160's that we are going to try in 300 rum later this year. They are not a great bc bullet, but not terrible. I will be interested to see if they will make the jump. That particular rifle has shot everything else well, so we will see.

Good luck,

Hammer Bullets
Advanced Technology
Simply Better

To hunt... or not to hunt...? What a stupid question.