Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Best heavy bullet for coyotes out of an AR-15?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 11:24 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Best heavy bullet for coyotes out of an AR-15?

The heavy SMK's are great bullets. I have also had VERY good luck with the Hornady 68grn Match bullet over Varget. Sub- MOA @ 100 out of a 16" gasser & 1-4x scope has made more than a few bolt rifles look bad

Good luck on your quest to find them in stock!

t

Old 02-04-2013, 05:50 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Best heavy bullet for coyotes out of an AR-15?

Ive been shooting 75gr PPU Match bullets loaded with WC842 out of my AR15 for several years now. I use it on everything from deer to hogs to coyotes.
Works great! Seat them to mag length and get to shooting.

Ive done some 80GR Nosler Custom Competitions to mag length and they shot right at 1.125" groups at 100yds. but the 75gr PPU match were alot cheaper back when i bought a few thousand. Now i just use 77gr Nosler CC's. They work just as good.

77gr is usually max weight people use for mag length stuff. Some of the 80s will do but starts getting iffy with the neck tension for mag length.

My 7 twist Daniel Defense barrel loves the 40Gr Vmax and the 77Gr Noslers, the grouped the best. never understood why the 40gr did so good.