Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Best Chronograph?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2003, 09:37 PM
Silver Member

Best Chronograph?

I've seen a few people talk chronographs here.

If you could have any one you wanted, which would you get? I'm not sure how much they cost, but I want a good one.

TIA,
Old 02-28-2003, 09:57 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Best Chronograph?

Oehler 35P without a doubt. I have a 43PBL too, both work flawlessly. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-28-2003, 10:01 PM
Platinum Member

I have a crony.Works well.And if you shoot it you are only out $90.00 [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[ 02-28-2003: Message edited by: Boyd Heaton ]
Old 02-28-2003, 10:24 PM
Platinum Member

Boyd, they're made to shoot "over" not through. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Seriously, replacement cases cost very little for the 35P, $15.00 is alot less than a new Chrony.

I have owned two Chronys, an Alpha and an F1 Master, and they didn't qualify as "good ones" by any stretch of the immagination either. An Oehler 35P is a "good" one, I have not heard anyone ever argue that one. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] The title of the thread is "Best Chrono?", so IMHO that rules out the Chrony right there. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-01-2003, 12:02 AM
Platinum Member

Since your question is for "any chronograph you wanted" I would take a Doepler radar unit with an Oehler 83 with acoustic mics as a backup, since that would require an indoor ballistic lab c/w a 1, 2 or 300 yard shooting tunnel to go with it. The doepler will even measure how fast (or slow) you are walking when you go down to the targets, plus many other amazing things (like tracing the bullet's trajectory as it is in flight).

Cost for the system is about 150,000 for the Dopler (that might be low, depends on what it feeds into etc.), another 15 thousand for the 83, the indoor lab would be at least 1/4 million (damn soundproofing, bullet stop, ventilation system and lighting is expensive - plus you would need a coffee maker and some styrofoam cups...).

Have shot on a few of these, they are very nice, video on the targets, electronic target advance, digital measuring or bullet location and group spread via the 83, muzzle and downrange velocities plus BC, time of flight, constant lighting, fairly constant temperature control, all data fed into a computer with a laser printer attached.

Some industry indoor ranges have very good benches, some have shelves so that you fire from standing. Some use actual firearms for testing while others use railguns with interchangeable barrels. Backstops vary, one common system is called a snail since it is shaped to deflect the bullet or shot into a semi-circle. Everyone should have one of these things in his home - right Len.

On the other hand, I am like Brent and find that my 35P's do a great job. If I want to get technical I will use my 43 with accoustics, but it requires a laptop and is even more complicated than our VCR. Guys my age don't get along good with VCR's...
Old 03-01-2003, 12:36 AM
Silver Member

Ian.

I'm not looking to shoot down planes! Cleary I didn't know there wa ssuch a range in prices for good chronographing rigs. The chronys are readily available here and I see them a lot. I've never even seen an oeler (sp??) but if that's the $h!t, then's that what I'll get. How much does that 35P run?

All I want is a rleiable means of chronographing loads, and I like the idea of the printer. That being said, I ahve Dell laptop and I can always print at home. Oh yeah, did I mention I need something that work in cold weather...
Old 03-01-2003, 03:07 AM
Platinum Member

Wow Ian, the 35 doesn't even compare!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I feel like I own a simple Chrony again! [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] NOT!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Wouldn't an indoor range be nice in your area right now!!

Sheldon,

The 35 is about $200, comes with two screens and a 2' rail and tripod adapter... no printer. Simple, but you will have to wright down your data. It is upgadable, giving you a proof chronograph built in by adding another screen later, you can also add a printer later too.

The 35P (printer model) comes with all of it right from the begining and is $345.00, worth every penny.

Might as well by straight from Oehler, I never see prices any cheaper. They have excellent service and support, ask for Clovis, he'll set you up and ship it right out. Get there tripods, there simple and one on each end lets you line up one end at a time while not bothering the other end.

Most all the serious junkies use the 35P, top notch accurate readings, proof chronograph all in one, leader in the industry, unquestionably great customer service and gaurantee, on and on...
http://www.oehler-research.com/

My Chrony brand chronies were so erratic and inconsistant, shot data was almost meaningless most of the time. They missed shots, got errors all the time. One would say my load was 2700, the other 2650, the next shot the first would say 2620, the second 2750. The spread was back and forth, alternating which was high, then which was low, some times as much as a 200 fps swing within 5 shots! Enough to drive a guy totally insane. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

I wish this greif upon nobody. Those were the worst times in my whole reloading career. If you only knew...

If you already have a laptop and aren't on too much of a budget, check out the 43PBL that measures psi too. I love mine! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

[ 03-01-2003: Message edited by: Brent ]