Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Best Caliber for Precision and versatility

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2005, 10:59 AM
Silver Member

Best Caliber for Precision and versatility

I've read a lot on several forums and talked to dealers about this and it seams as follows so far. That the 308 would be the most precise and the 30-06 the most versatile. I'd like to know if this is an accurate assessment or something else. Shooting distance is not important. Strictly accuracy and versatility.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-01-2005, 11:32 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Best Caliber for Precision and versatility

The '06 will handle heavier bullets better than the .308 and it will launch lighter bullets a bit faster. But the advantage of the .308 is probably an intangible - they are very accurate, easy to load for, all the drops and drifts are readily available, cheap to shoot. You can say all of that for the '06 but the .308 does things a bit better. Again hard for us to prove but I understand that the military found that the .308 is inherently slightly more accurate, given equal rifles etc. Out to 600 an animal would not likely show any difference if hit properly with either round.
I shot a caribou a while back with the .308 at 525 yards and the bullets exited - still lots of killing energy (hunted out of Puvirnituq.). We are killing mulies very cleanly out to 600-650 with the .308 and could no doubt do just as well with the .06.
Interesting how little respect the .308 has with many shooters compared to what it will do out there.
Old 01-01-2005, 04:42 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
The '06 will handle heavier bullets better than the .308 and it will launch lighter bullets a bit faster. But the advantage of the .308 is probably an intangible - they are very accurate, easy to load for, all the drops and drifts are readily available, cheap to shoot. You can say all of that for the '06 but the .308 does things a bit better. Again hard for us to prove but I understand that the military found that the .308 is inherently slightly more accurate, given equal rifles etc. Out to 600 an animal would not likely show any difference if hit properly with either round.
I shot a caribou a while back with the .308 at 525 yards and the bullets exited - still lots of killing energy (hunted out of Puvirnituq.). We are killing mulies very cleanly out to 600-650 with the .308 and could no doubt do just as well with the .06.
Interesting how little respect the .308 has with many shooters compared to what it will do out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Ian M

Is there another caliber more precise than the 308?
Old 01-01-2005, 05:33 PM
Platinum Member

As you are no doubt aware, the benchrest shooters set the pace for accurate cartridge development, plus some of the competitive long range folk. Why do we prefer the .308? Mainly because at the level we shoot at, the .308 does everything we require, cheaply and with consistency.
There is no doubt that many other cartridges can match or exceed the accuracy of the .308 Win. particularly the smaller caliber BR rounds. I am not into that stuff personally, we shoot the hell out of our .308's and play around with some other cartridges as the interest happens.
How well the rifle is built, barrel quality etc. have a lot to do with accuracy potential, then you have to practice a lot to get your skill up to that of the rifle system.
First time I saw an Inukshuk I was totally fooled, wondered who in heck the guys over on the horizon were...
What kind of weather are you having up there, we just shoveled out from a dandy blizzard yesterday and today we have another set in. Thank heavens for snow blowers!
Old 01-01-2005, 07:14 PM
Silver Member

Hi Ian M

The warmest we have had so far with the wind factor was -47.

Thanks for the input. So I guess if I had a 7mm it wouldn't be more accurate than the 308.
Old 01-01-2005, 07:34 PM
Platinum Member

For God's sake man, why don't you just wear plaid shirts, drink distilled water, and drive a baige Volvo with a bumper sticker that says, "I brake for boring regularity"!!
I mean come on, everyone and their goldfish has a dirty ought six or a 308! Liven it up a little. Yes they are great cartridges, but you gotta have a flair for the stuff grandpa don't have!
No offense to people who have these good cartridges. They definetely are accurate, efficient, and easy to load for, but so are a ton of other cartridges that deserve a look. Don't just settle for what that gun-counter salesmen tries to unload on you! HA, wait a second, I AM a gun salesmen! And from that point of view I can say that I talk to a million people a day that say, "You got any 308's?" and I just yawn and show 'em. But now if a customer comes in and says, "You got any 260's?" he has my attention, and if the customer comes in and says, "which one of these actions is best for doing a 6 BR?" then I am totally fired up! It's the difference between a car salesmen at the Volvo dealer and a salesman at the Ferrari dealer!
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:05 PM

the 6mmPPC has been called the most accurate caliber ever but I believe that it comes down to the gun more times than not. I have seen some 30-06's that would shoot circles around some 308's that weren't put together to well and vise versa.
If you gonna be buying off the shelf ammo the 308 is hard to beat but if you a reloader then the posibilities are endless