Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

The best Barrels made?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2008, 03:50 PM
Gold Member

The best Barrels made?

I have a .308 Remi I am planing to pull the Barrel and build a 6.5/08 (260) for long range target shooting/compition with some of my friends in green, I have a Shilen at this time on one of my rifles and would like to better the choice. I do much of my purchases with Sinclair but as shown they have no 6.5mm Barrels.Soooo, What can you say about other Barrel makers? and out and out who makes the best out there. I know what you might think its like a debate of who makes the best truck or how should the tp be on the dispencer.
There is an old friend north of me that has a load of land and has a stack permits for Deer.
(Land owner permits) Farmers get them here because of the degree of crop damage and the complants. If I get the chance I would love to send you a photo of his blind its 6ft sq with an old barbers chair he re apolstered. I get the loft of the barn with heat and a TV.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:01 PM
Platinum Member

Shilen builds about as good a barrel as it gets in most peoples opinion. You are not going to find one mftr that unilaterly builds better. Now they all build really great ones at times, and some not so great. Bruno's stocks Shilens most of the time in 6.5 also.

We all have our preferences. I like Hart, Lilja, Rock, Krieger, Broughton and have more than one of each right now on guns to include one Shilen.

Do you want cut rifled or button rifled, straight or canted rifling? Some are tighter bores than others and might effect which bullet you choose etc. At least start from that point.

BH
Old 04-19-2008, 05:52 PM
Platinum Member

KC like Bountyhunter said I'm not sure there are any better barrels
than Shillen.

I have used Hart,Lilja,Shillen,Krieger and others and the reason I use
more than one barrel maker is because the client has a preference
or a special requirement. Length,twist,contour,delivery and etc.

As long as they are target select match I can guarantee 1/2 MOA

Lilja is one of my favorites along with Shillen.

I have not used all of the premium barrels but I'm shure some of the
other shooters have and can recomend one of them.

J E CUSTOM
Old 04-19-2008, 11:50 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc View Post
I have a .308 Remi I am planing to pull the Barrel and build a 6.5/08 (260) for long range target shooting/compition with some of my friends in green, I have a Shilen at this time on one of my rifles and would like to better the choice. I do much of my purchases with Sinclair but as shown they have no 6.5mm Barrels.Soooo, What can you say about other Barrel makers? and out and out who makes the best out there. I know what you might think its like a debate of who makes the best truck or how should the tp be on the dispencer.
There is an old friend north of me that has a load of land and has a stack permits for Deer.
(Land owner permits) Farmers get them here because of the degree of crop damage and the complants. If I get the chance I would love to send you a photo of his blind its 6ft sq with an old barbers chair he re apolstered. I get the loft of the barn with heat and a TV.
I had a Rock on my GAP TIS rifle before I sold it. Great barrel and shot and cleaned up well. Mike builds a heck of a barrel

George put a Broughton on my AR, another fine barrel which shot lights out and cleans up with ease.

Currently I think the best barrel being made out there now is Bartlein

I just had my LH Model 70 300 Win Featherweight re-barreled with a Bartlein barrel. Looking through the bore scope I've never seen a barrel with a glass smooth almost mirror finish like I have with this Bartlein barrel, it's flat out incredible. It's a real shooter and cleans up with no fuss.

What I like about Bartlein is they offer services and twist rates no one else offers. They can do about any twist rate you can think of as well a barrel diameter and contours. So if you want a truly custom barrel setup they can do it.

Mathew 5:16

Distance is not an issue, but the wind will make it interesting!
Old 04-20-2008, 02:34 AM
Gold Member

Most top end barrel guys will give you bore/groove some offer different type rifling as options same with extra length.

I just had a Lawton cut barrel SS on a 270WSM also Chanlynn barrel on a 7x57,Kreiger on a 280AI,Hart on a 243AI,Lilja on a 300Wby,Shilen on a 22-250AI,Obermeyer 5r on 30-06, Boughton 5c on a 300WSM plus afew others.

I've been very lucky with good gunsmiths over the years and that is the make or break with any good barrel and you have to have a gunsmith willing to use a barrel than may not be on his list.

You have Spencer,H&S,Badger,Brux,Schneider,Rock,Bartlein making good barrels. If you look back Chanlynn,Rock,Kreiger started with Obermeyer,Bartlein started with Kreiger so Obermeyer has started alot of the good barrel guys. Bartlein is now making a 5r barrel in some calibers and twist can be carried out to the 4th decimal point so with all the new things being add be pretty hard for me to get locked into one barrel. My LR varmit/target maybe antelope rifle is a tight neck 6.5x284 with a 28" Hart barrel build by Mike Bryant, if I was to rebarrel that rifle today I'd be looking at the Broungton 5c,Bartlein 5r or Shilen Ratchet barrel and I call Obermeyer first see how long he be on getting a barrel.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:32 PM
Platinum Member

All of them have put out great individual barrels. But on average the best barrels I have used were made by Hart.

Last edited by Long Time Long Ranger; 04-20-2008 at 05:52 PM.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:23 PM
Gold Member

No such thing as "best" barrelmaker. Opinions are like noses everyone has one.

One smith that I use only uses Kreiger says he is willing to change if you can prove that there is a better one out there. A different smith that I use only uses Broughton and says the same thing. The Maker mentioned are all good, and I have personally shot on rifles that I own Hart, Broughton, Bartlein, Kreiger, and Rock. I've never had a bad barrel form any of these builders. So which is best - who knows; they were all good.

JeffVN