Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Best barrel for your $$$

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2013, 01:42 PM
Gold Member

Re: Best barrel for your $$$

LRH3006, that's very unfortunate with regard to your Benchmark experience.

Also, I can't help but notice you just created your account with LRH and your only post is/was to say something negative about Benchmark barrels.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:53 PM
Gold Member

bigngreen, of the Benchmark barrels you've used have they all been conventional 6 groove or have you tried any of their 5c or 3 groove variants? Have they been in small, med or big bore chamberings??

Sorry for all the questions but I'm very interested in ordering some of their barrels and the more info I have the better. I'm thinking of getting a 1-8tw 3c in .224 and 1-8tw 5c in .243
Old 12-12-2013, 04:18 PM

B23,
I don't think I said anything negative, I said I didn't have anything good to say about them. And the barrel wouldn't shoot very well and they wouldn't do anything about it. I'm just telling the facts.

Yes, I just joined and saw this thread about Benchmark and wanted to give my experience with the barrel. I didn't know that this was a "positive only" forum. Others may have had a good experience with them, but not all. If I was inquiring about them, I would want to know both sides, the good AND the bad so that I could make an informed decision.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:35 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicious7mm View Post
hey guys was wanting some imput on what the best barrel would be for a 7mm rem mag or what the best barrel for the money would be??? thanks!
There are lots of good barrel manufaturers to choose from nowadays. My experience has been 4 shilens, 1 kreiger, and 1 HS Precsion 10x. They have all been great barrels, but the best one so far is the HS Precision. Their barrels are cut rifled as are kreigers. Bartlien has a great reputation but I have not used any of their barrels as yet.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:03 PM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRH3006 View Post
I have nothing good to say about Benchmark. I had one of their barrels and ended up replacing it because it wouldn't shoot very well. They wouldn't do anything about it.
Did you send them the barrel so they could examine it? I'd be more inclined to look at a poor chambering job, a bad bedding job, or any number of other things that can make a rifle "not shoot" before I'd make a statement like that. I had a customer bring me a new 700ADL chambered in .270 Win. that seems to think it should shoot bench rest type groups just because he'd put a Leupold tactical scope on it ( a 6.5 x 25, I think).
Old 12-12-2013, 06:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRH3006 View Post
B23,
I don't think I said anything negative, I said I didn't have anything good to say about them. And the barrel wouldn't shoot very well and they wouldn't do anything about it. I'm just telling the facts.

Yes, I just joined and saw this thread about Benchmark and wanted to give my experience with the barrel. I didn't know that this was a "positive only" forum. Others may have had a good experience with them, but not all. If I was inquiring about them, I would want to know both sides, the good AND the bad so that I could make an informed decision.
Don't worry about it and welcome to the forums. In my opinion, the members to watch out for are the ones who join and immediately start posting a lot of stuff for sale. RED FLAG. Laying down your experience like you did is no big deal as far as I'm concerned. Looks like it just happened to be the topic that prompted you to share your input. That said, you ain't Dan Lilja are ya?
Old 12-12-2013, 06:24 PM
Platinum Member

To the OP: your TITLE says "Best bbl for YOUR money?" Your post says, "best bbl for THE money."

These are 2 separate issues. There are many best barrels and some of that characteristic lies on the shoulders of the fella that builds your rifle. You could truly own the best barrel any maker produced coming from the best batch of steel they had every seen only to have the builder do a less than top quality job cutting, crowning, chambering, threading, and installing it, along with all of the rest of the parts.

However, you do pose a simple question and it is easy to answer. The best button rifled barrels available say "HART" on them. The best cut-rifled barrels say "Obermeyer" on them. I've got quite the variety of tubes on guns and some spares in the safe. I will next try a Schneider barrel with the polygonal rifling as I think it will be a breeze to clean and it is another barrel that many popular and excellent builders/shooters use, such as McMillan, and Tubbs.