Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Best barrel for your $$$

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2013, 03:22 PM

Best barrel for your $$$

hey guys was wanting some imput on what the best barrel would be for a 7mm rem mag or what the best barrel for the money would be??? thanks!
Old 12-11-2013, 03:25 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Best barrel for your $$$

Whatever your smith can get you cheapest. My smith gets a huge discount on Douglas barrels because he's used them since they got started 50+ years ago, and he says they're the only barrel mfg that will truly warranty a barrel and stick to their lifetime satisfaction guarantee, no matter how many rounds have been fired through it for the life of the original purchaser. He'll order you whatever you want to pay for, but he gets the biggest price cuts on Douglas.

You can get Shilen blanks fairly cheap as well, if you're looking for chrome-moly barrels. Any stainless steel barrel blank will run you $300 and goes up from there. And that's $300 not including smith work (chambering, threading, cutting, crowning, fitting, etc...)

If you just want to go cheap, or are on a tight budget, go find you a new factory take-off barrel for $100 and have it installed.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:27 PM
Gold Member

sorry, but that's like asking "what's the best tire".
ALL the major Mfg.'s are good.
Trust your gun builder.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:38 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBULLET View Post
sorry, but that's like asking "what's the best tire".
ALL the major Mfg.'s are good.
Trust your gun builder.

Couldn't say it any better. A custom bbl is a custom bbl. I currently have a Shilen and am very pleased with it. It all depends on who puts it on though.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:09 PM
Gold Member

I've been hearing a lot of good things about Benchmark Barrels. Was told they are a couple guys that used to work for Lilja but I don't know that for a fact.

For what it's worth they have a "group buy" for this site's members going on right now and I believe I read it's only about a 6 week wait time to get barrels. I've thought about ordering a couple just to have on hand for that next new build or re-barrel.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:22 PM

Shaw.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:57 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicious7mm View Post
hey guys was wanting some imput on what the best barrel would be for a 7mm rem mag or what the best barrel for the money would be??? thanks!
I would buy a Bartlein, Brux, or Krieger.