Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Best bang for a specialty pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2006, 06:59 PM
Gold Member

Re: Best bang for a specialty pistol

Why not make it a switch barrel xp-100 and have a choice of what barrel you put on it. You could do a 7mm WSM or 7 STW and a 338 WSM or 338 WM and a 30 WSN or a 300 Weatherby Mag or all of the above on the same action with the same bolt. Just tell your smith you want a switch barrel rig get a barrel vice and action wrench and unbolt one barrel and install another. just a thought [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2006, 07:18 PM
Silver Member

It will be a switch barrel down the road. I allready have all the stuff for barrel work, I have been making rifles for a while. My problem is I havent actually held a custom XP and I am trying to build one without knowing barrel contour or possible vellocities out of short barrels. I have bitten of a big bite! Nothing new though I am always doing stuff before I know what I am doing.

Jason
Old 08-01-2006, 07:36 PM
Gold Member

as for taper it depends on how much weight you want to carry around I like heavy guns so I can use a rifle scope here is a pic of one of my xp's 1.200 HV taper

Old 08-01-2006, 08:48 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

I would stay away from the WSM case for the encore, you will get excessive frame flexing which can damage your receiver. Been there done that.

If I were you I would look at the '06 Improved rounds if you want to go with the Encore. Save the hot stuff for the fixed breech XPs.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com