Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Best Ballistic Software?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2008, 10:53 PM

Best Ballistic Software?

Howdy all! I was wondering if some of you could relay your thoughts and experiences with different ballistic programs. I've never used any before, and with options from $40- $170, I want to be sure I'm making the right choice.

Anyways, I imagine the ideal setup for me would be a detailed program for my desktop where I can enter all of the data specific to my rifle (bullet type, weight, powder, muzzle velocity, etc etc) and play around with diferrent theoritical loads, and then I'd like to synch that with my Pocket PC...I'd like to have the rest of it (using the pocket PC to calculate drop/adjustments) be as simple and quick as possible.

If any of you have personal experience with any of the programs out there, care to share your opinions? Is one better than another? Any easier/harder to use?

Thanks!
Old 11-23-2008, 11:14 PM
Gold Member

Re: Best Ballistic Software?

Ballistics programs and downloads

This one has worked well for me and best of all its free
Savage Target Action 6mm-284
Savage Target Action 6.5x47 Lapua
Savage Predator Hunter Max1 6.5-284 Norma
Savage Predator Hunter Max 1 22-284 Norma
Savage Bear Hunter 338 Win Mag
"Gotta Kill It Before You Can Grill It"
Old 11-23-2008, 11:44 PM
SPONSOR

I have used Exbal for a long time and have just recieved the new Sierra software.
i have exbal on both computer and pocket PC-Works great!
Old 11-24-2008, 02:13 AM
Platinum Member

I have the Exbal by Perry Systems (sold by Nightforce) and I am very pleased with it. I have both on my desk top and my hand held computer as well

Old 11-24-2008, 07:24 AM
Platinum Member

If you haven't ever used any ballistics programs, you should rectify that problem before purchasing one. The free ones are adequate for most situations that a beginner should be shooting in. The one that I prefer is JBM

JBM - Calculations - Trajectory

It is very powerful and about as accurate as any other up to 1500 yards. So many things happen past 1000 yards that it is usually very difficult to determine the accuracy of the predictions of a computer programs versus the myriad of environmental conditions. Small things like the yaw of the bullet leaving a specific barrel make it impossible to be 100% accurate.

I print off the drop charts and add a few pieces of information such as temperature and altitude corrections and then laminate it. I also carry a cosine chart if the terrain warrants it.

The principle reason I bought Exbal is for its ability to calculate past 1500 yards. Even when I am carrying my PDA I will have my laminated drop chart.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:34 PM
Gold Member

I have and use the Exbal system. It is pretty good for my 7WSM.

Field Firing solutions is a touch better, as it allows the shooter to input 3 different wind directions and speed at the same time. My brother has this one, and it is extremely good (within 1/2 MOa on his calls outt o 1K - farthest he ahs tried it with his .308).

Patagonia has one that is pretty popular in some tactical ralms.

If you are going to extreme long ranges (beyond 1,500 yards), the only one that seems to truly have it wired together is the CheyTac system - the full military version.

JeffV N
Old 11-24-2008, 06:44 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone!!

Buffalobob -- I have used JBM's calculator many times, and I agree that for free, it's a heck of a setup. Unfortunately, I've been in the field trying to use it from my blackberry with frustrating results

I don't, and likely will never shoot beynod 1,000 yards. I have a 400 yard range (hopefully soon to be 500 with a little help from a bulldozer), and there's only one 1,000 yard range that I know of here in Georgia...

However, I am trying to become completely confident in my shooting abilities at ranges of maybe 300 - 600 yards so that I am comfortable taking a shot at game at that range (I'm dying to go out west on a pronghorn hunt, but I won't go until I'm 100% confident in my shooting). I felt like a nice software package would be a great help for that...both for my reloading and for in the field use with the Pocket PC.

I'll look into all the software packages mentioned (I appreciate your "free" option ZSteinle...I'm cheap also!)...it sounds like Exbal has a lot of fans and Patagonia looks very thorough as well...figures since they're the two most expensive options