Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Best ballistic program

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2005, 10:22 PM
Platinum Member

Best ballistic program

I have been using several different programs for years and I like them all for varying reasons, but I find that the Sierra Infinity software is the easiest program to show beginners how to use. However, I have found that with several different guns it is off a minute or two at 1000 yards plus. I think that is because it uses the old G1 drag function that supposedly is less accurate with todays bullets. So my question is what is the most accurate ballistic program, and why is it better than another?
Thanks
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:02 AM
Silver Member

Re: Best ballistic program

id that for home use I use mostly JBM sofware ( free on eskimo web site on line

as field software oehler is good , sierra is good BUT carefully avoid transonic aera most software ecpet professional as MPM follow drag curve and drag curve is OK from 1.2 mach to 3.5 mach try to compute transonic velocity is not reallistic

good shooting

DAN TEC
Old 01-17-2005, 10:55 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks Dantec.
I spent several hours yesterday inputing a gun's trajectory into about 12 different ballistic programs and they all came up slightly different! I was out shooting the day before yesterday at my gong at 1000 yards, and I had my laptop there and my chronograph. I used sierra infinity to input the data directly from the chronograph into the MOA on my scope. Then, out of curiosity, I went up 1 more minute than what Infinity said and my first shot hit at 3 o'clock and missed the edge of the gong by an inch. Why was Infinity off so far? I have shot many guns at 1000 that were off a little too, so I know that it wasn't just that gun/bullet combo had a lower bc than what is published. It seems to me that Infinity is just a little off at longer ranges.
So I inputed that same gun into 12 other programs yesterday, and they all had a slightly different number for come-ups. Infinity said come up 19.2 Moa, and I was looking for a program that would say 20.2 Moa as that was what I actually had to use to hit the gong at 1K. Dave Kings program, Pejsa's program, and Exball were the closest to 20.2 Moa, so I am deducing that they might be the most accurate. What is everyone's feeling of these findings?
Pull it
Dump it

Old 01-17-2005, 05:42 PM

Exbal
Old 01-18-2005, 08:54 AM
Silver Member

MPM Programs

DANTEC -- if you have a professional MPM program, I would appreciate any feedback you can give me about how my free MPM program compares (numbers wise, I'm sure their interfaces are better since my is commandline!). Thanks!
Old 01-20-2005, 10:40 PM
Platinum Member

Re: best ballistic program help?

I have been playing with Exbal a lot lately (thanks Brassbender!) and have found it to be a good program. However, I have a few questions.
Does Exbal show charts in actual inch drop, or just MOA?
Does Exbal run off newer ballistic tables, not Ingles?
Does it have a "calculate zero" window?
Does the angle compensation work directly into the MOA drop it gives you, or do you have to get a Bullet path difference in inches on another screen like Infinity?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have a cow elk hunt this weekend, and I would like to know all the tricks to this software before I start using it in a real hunting situation.
Thanks.
Pull it
Dump it

Old 01-21-2005, 11:22 AM
Platinum Member

Re: best ballistic program help?

How do you have so many questions about something you have been using lately? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Exbal is a GOOD program for local field use, once you've tweeked it's G1 BC to match your results. It is not a nats behind program with every bell & whistle(like coriolis comp, or various drag curves). I have found it's angle compensation is applied very well. It does have the ability to discern your new zero, such as when shooting in a different state than zero'd from.
It matches most of the other external ballistic programs out there, But I don't know about it's relationship to Ingall's/Pejsa's.
I'm waiting for the field version of Precision Workbench to become available. Blaine has put alot of thought into it.

Oh yeah, Exbal will resolve in inches and/or MOA. You can also set your scope click values, and set it's resulting clicks based on IPHY or MOA(like 1/4"/click/100yds or 1/4MOA/click).