Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Best Action for Custom Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2014, 04:03 PM
Silver Member

Re: Best Action for Custom Builds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd View Post
I'm going to guess it is because of something Jim Borden said.
Nope. It's just nice having different options.

If it's such a big advantage then everyone would do it.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam32 View Post

Almost every major 700 clone manufacturer does do it, with the exception of a couple.

The only reason most factory actions don't do it, is because it's faster to mass produce completely cylindrical actions then add the machined lug, than it is to cnc the whole action from the beginning.

Cost + Efficiency = money

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:26 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Almost every major 700 clone manufacturer does do it, with the exception of a couple.
Wrong...MOST don't do it. A couple do and they charge for it compared to other actions.

Custom Actions

If you want to pay extra for an integral lug then do it but it won't make for a better rifle...except in your mind.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Wrong...MOST don't do it. A couple do and they charge for it compared to other actions.

Custom Actions

If you want to pay extra for an integral lug then do it but it won't make for a better rifle...except in your mind.
Never said it would make a better rifle, only said it would make it easier for those wanting switch-barrel setups.

I also said that if the factory actions were FULLY CNC MACHINED they would be better than the cast steel half-way trued-up actions that almost all major factory rifle rifle manufacturers produce would be much better rifles.

But, you're right...I don't know jack crap. I just pretend like I do...

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 04-24-2014, 05:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Then what is the reason you wouldn't buy anything with an integral lug, ever?

Quote:
I'm not sure how that is a convincing analogy or how to define "big". There are a lot of advantages that don't get used by everyone. The manufacturing of an action without an integral lug or rail is easier. Same thing goes for a bolt handle.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:03 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
I also said that if the factory actions were FULLY CNC MACHINED they would be better than the cast steel half-way trued-up actions that almost all major factory rifle rifle manufacturers produce would be much better rifles.
Do almost all major factory actions really start out from castings? shows how much I pay attention... Obviously makes sense from a cost standpoint, I just never thought they were that cheap. On the job I'm just so used to getting certified material for high-tolerance machined parts that I really cannot imagine starting something like a rifle action out from a crappy casting.

In my mind that really adds to the justification for going full custom unless you start from a factory action that you know was not cast.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber338 View Post
Do almost all major factory actions really start out from castings? shows how much I pay attention... Obviously makes sense from a cost standpoint, I just never thought they were that cheap. On the job I'm just so used to getting certified material for high-tolerance machined parts that I really cannot imagine starting something like a rifle action out from a crappy casting.

In my mind that really adds to the justification for going full custom unless you start from a factory action that you know was not cast.
My smith had a buddy who used to work for Browning many years ago. He once told him that it costs Browning $38.00 to manufacture a complete A-Bolt barreled action, overseas in Japan. Then once they get here they smooth them out, engrave them, whatever, then assemble them here and sell them for $500-600.

I don't know how true this is, but my smith has never lied to me before, and everything he's ever told me was 100% true, and he has LOTS of friends high-up in every company, so I don't see this one being a false statement.

I still like the A-Bolt II rifles, and am having a custom built off of one right now. They are excellent rifles, regardless of how inexpensive the revievers might be.

I'm sure that probably is about the same cost for all the major manufacturers. Remingtons might cost a bit more, as they are still manufactured here in the USA.

I won't say all, but I would venture to say majority of factory actions are cast steel.

I do know that Steyr barrels are hand hammer-forged, and are amongst the BEST factory barrels I've ever shot and looked down.

I used to sell the mess out of the Steyr SBS rifles back when I worked at the outdoors store. I still wouldn't mind having an SBS in 7mm RemMag.

Quote: