Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Best accurate rifle / scope combination under $2k

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 06:27 PM
Gold Member

Re: Best accurate rifle / scope combination under $2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
I agree with Lloyd. If you want to be able to hunt that far away, a Magnum caliber would be a better choice than a .308. But for paper and steel @ 1000 the .308 is an excellent caliber to get into shooting long range.

For the money a Sendero 7Mag and a Zeiss 6.5-20x50 (usually on sale for around $799), would be a good setup.

Then later on (or immediately) you could spend about $150 and have the barrel re-chambered to 7mmSTW, and really be able to reach out and touch something. That would be a real nice shooter for under $1,500...And you would really be able to reach out there and hunt at 1000+ if you had some nice handloads with some Berger 180 VLD's.

If you went with a Sendero in 7mm RemMag, the Berger 168 VLD's would be and excellent choice.
I agree with the Sendero. I got two barely used 7mm STW Senderos last year for $1,000 each and I have Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scopes on them.

With the EGW 1-Piece Picatinny-Style 20 MOA rails and Burris 30mm Xtreme Tactical Picatinny-Style Rings each of my rifle/scope set-ups came to right about $2,000 and these rifle/scope set-up shoot unbelievable!

Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope

Remington 700 LSS .257 Weatherby Magnum
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope
Old 03-28-2013, 06:33 PM
Platinum Member

Wanna make quick money back on one of them-there Senderos? Pretty please!!!

I have a Sendero SF 7mmSTW, just like GameHawker does (but with a Zeiss 6.5-20x50), and for a factory rifle, those things are incredibly accurate.

It would eat you alive to know what I have in that setup, but in my defense, I was working at an outdoors store 11 years ago, and gun prices were about 1/2 what they are now. So cost+10% came out REAL nice on my end. I just bought the new Zeiss for it early this year, and I have thoroughly enjoyed the combo. I have a new EGW 20MOA base sitting in the package at home, just waiting on the TPS TSR 1" low rings to come back in stock on Midway, so I can re-fit my setup, and remove the old stainless Leupolds off of it, so I can have a wicked long-range setup, like GH's.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:59 PM
Gold Member

Does Remington do anything different to the Sendero action compared to the 700 ? Watching videos of smiths accurizing the 700 action makes it clear that Remington does not even bother to cut the receiver threads using a threading tool in the lathe, even though the receiver starts off as a tube ??? Instead they use a tap which results in the threads being tapered and out of square. The the bolt engagement face is not square or flat (use of a worn "plunging tool" as opposed to a "proper cutting tool manipulated in 2 axis.) Its simply pitiful how something so simple just cannot be done properly in this age of $25k cnc lathes.

I get the impression that Remington is using equipment that is probably 30 or more years old (and now considerably more worn out) to make the 700 actions and they would benefit massively by re-tooling that line to use modern equipment that will build the quality back into the products. But, presumably, as long as people keep buying this sh**t, they will keep making it and change nothing.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:41 AM
Gold Member

dont know how they do it and as long as the ones i buy keep being one of the most consistantly accurate over the counter rifles i find they can do it any way they want. Ive own and have owned many older 700s and newer 700s and havent seen much differnce in accuracy between them. Now if you look at something like a adl or sps you can say fit and finish isnt up to the older guns but your buying a base priced rifle in those cases for hundreds less then a cdl or sendero and sure cant expect nice bluing and pillar bedding or nice walnut for 500 bucks or less. Funny thing is i have a blued sps 06 thats sitting in a cdl stock thats floated and bedded that is hands down the best shooting sporter weight 700 ive ever owned. Its consistantly a 5 shot 3/4 inch gun and ive shot enough 1/2 groups with it to know that in the hands of someone that can really shoot it would be scary accurate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
Does Remington do anything different to the Sendero action compared to the 700 ? Watching videos of smiths accurizing the 700 action makes it clear that Remington does not even bother to cut the receiver threads using a threading tool in the lathe, even though the receiver starts off as a tube ??? Instead they use a tap which results in the threads being tapered and out of square. The the bolt engagement face is not square or flat (use of a worn "plunging tool" as opposed to a "proper cutting tool manipulated in 2 axis.) Its simply pitiful how something so simple just cannot be done properly in this age of $25k cnc lathes.

I get the impression that Remington is using equipment that is probably 30 or more years old (and now considerably more worn out) to make the 700 actions and they would benefit massively by re-tooling that line to use modern equipment that will build the quality back into the products. But, presumably, as long as people keep buying this sh**t, they will keep making it and change nothing.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:48 AM
Gold Member

heres another good choise http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...terner-111510/
Old 03-29-2013, 10:54 AM
Platinum Member

Sorry if this is a repeat, didn't read all the comments.

You might try:
Savage 116 300wm or 6.5-284 for $750.00 at cabelas. I have the 6.5-284. shoots well. Accustock, accutrigger, fluted stainless steel varmint contour barrel. Put a vortex viper pst on it for 600-800. Done. You are good as far as you can shoot.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:58 AM
Gold Member

Remington 700 action trueing Part 3 - YouTube

This is where the smith just gets the action dialed in and the first thing he does is face the front of the action perpendicular to the bolt bore.

Here he has squared the integral lugs to the bolt bore
Remington 700 action trueing Part 4 - YouTube

Comparison of Remington 700 to custom action
Remington action compared to Custom action Part 1 - YouTube