Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Best .308 Win Bullet for Elk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 04:12 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Best .308 Win Bullet for Elk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerman View Post
Since this will probably be a once in a lifetime hut for me that I have been saving for for over 2 years and the fact that I am almost 55 years old I think I will just take two guns and be done with it. My 300 RUM is a Remington Sendero with a custom Douglas 28" barrel and brake, Nightforce 5.5x22x56 scope, Jewell trigger, etc. that shoots the 215 Berger at a legitimate 0.5 MOA at 1000 yards.
Saving for a while...
once in a lifetime...
I would say plan for the worse case scenario. That means 300 RUM with a suitable bullet for almost any range/shot offered, and take a second rifle.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:20 PM
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=albertakid;808171]I have shot several elk with a 308 and 168 grain smk or amax and never had any issues put it where it counts and your good to go no caliber is gonna make a bad shot a good one.
I agree, to a point. A marginal shot with a lesser round might not be so with the extra horsepower. Example could be angled shots on elk.

Have seen more elk cover country after being shot with fast magnums than I have anything else due to the bullet just penciling through never had that problem with my 308.
How is it the extra velocity makes them pencil through, sounds more like a case of improper bullet choice. Care to elaborate?

That being said I prefer my 338 lapua if the shots are gonna be extended
Agreed
[\
QUOTE]

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:42 PM
Silver Member

180 Nosler Partition with a good load of Varget will be close to 1500 ft./lbs @ 400 yds.

Browming X-Bolt .30-06
Nikon Monarch SF 4-16

Weatherby Mark V 30-378
Nightforce 5.5-22 x 56
Old 05-21-2013, 08:03 PM
Silver Member

The reason I stated that the high velocity magnums actually had poor results is due to the fact that at closer distances the velocity actually hinders the bullet performance when a heart or lung shot is taken. Now a high shoulder shot would be a different deal altogether, but I have personally seen elk shot with a 7mag that covered a lot of ground do the bullet passing through and the energy wasted with a lung shot.

A lot of hunters around here see the high shoulder shot as a waste of meat I know cause I have had this debate 100 times I always say high shoulder and they say lung shot until they see a high shoulder shot and the way in anchors a critter down

I actually shot a 7 rem mag for a long time and killed numerous elk at all kinds of ranges however I probably shot one of the slowest ones around as I liked a heavier bullet and less velocity.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertakid View Post
I have shot several elk with a 308 and 168 grain smk or amax and never had any issues put it where it counts and your good to go no caliber is gonna make a bad shot a good one. Know your limits and shoot accordinly and you ought to have no issues.

Have seen more elk cover country after being shot with fast magnums than I have anything else due to the bullet just penciling through never had that problem with my 308.

That being said I prefer my 338 lapua if the shots are gonna be extended
+1

My gun safe and yours are similar. The 308 is my go to rifle, light weight and carryable but the 338 always goes in the Pelican Storm Case as well.

Sometimes a sledgehammer is necessary when a framing hammer won't cut the mustard.

Last year in NM, we fouled the barrels on the outfitters private range prior to and I pulled out the 338. The outfitter had never seen one close up so I let him touch off a couple. I suspect there is a 338 in his gun cabinet now.

His comment was, "That SOB is loud but it's real manageable'. It's loud. Too bad it's so heavy.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertakid View Post
The reason I stated that the high velocity magnums actually had poor results is due to the fact that at closer distances the velocity actually hinders the bullet performance when a heart or lung shot is taken. Now a high shoulder shot would be a different deal altogether, but I have personally seen elk shot with a 7mag that covered a lot of ground do the bullet passing through and the energy wasted with a lung shot.

A lot of hunters around here see the high shoulder shot as a waste of meat I know cause I have had this debate 100 times I always say high shoulder and they say lung shot until they see a high shoulder shot and the way in anchors a critter down

I actually shot a 7 rem mag for a long time and killed numerous elk at all kinds of ranges however I probably shot one of the slowest ones around as I liked a heavier bullet and less velocity.
What bullets have you seen this with, I've never experienced the facts your talking about. I've see elk every year cover a lot of ground dragging a front leg, a great reason to shoot a bullet that will open through their lungs!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 05-21-2013, 10:57 PM
Silver Member

I didnt call them facts just personal experiance and the bullets varied but most where store bought ammo. Not everyone rolls there own i always attributed it to a combination of speed and bullet selection i shot 168 smks out of my 7 mag and it was a devestating combo ymmv