Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Bergers VLD and hunting......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2010, 10:35 AM
Platinum Member

Bergers VLD and hunting......

Posted this in another forum but I would like more input.
I will admit I am a Hornady and Nosler fan. Now, that being said the fact that I am getting Sub half MOA groups and 3175 fps from the 210 Hunting VLD from my Sendero 300 RUM has me very intrigued. I have decided to use these this year and and see for myself what they can do. I must admit I am an fan of exit wounds and I have heard the VLD's are not really known for that. So to the fellas that have used them, what can I expect as far as game performance on deer/elk?

Thank you in advance for any input.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:53 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Bergers VLD and hunting......

Quote:
Originally Posted by POP View Post
Posted this in another forum but I would like more input.
I will admit I am a Hornady and Nosler fan. Now, that being said the fact that I am getting Sub half MOA groups and 3175 fps from the 210 Hunting VLD from my Sendero 300 RUM has me very intrigued. I have decided to use these this year and and see for myself what they can do. I must admit I am an fan of exit wounds and I have heard the VLD's are not really known for that. So to the fellas that have used them, what can I expect as far as game performance on deer/elk?

Thank you in advance for any input.
I just started using the 210 berger last year I only had a chance to shoot one doe with it at 85 yards she was bedded down in a field next to my shootin house . Complete pass through she didn't even budge from her bed well to be honest she had one leg kicked out from under her but she was still laying were she was just befor the gun went off I LOVE BERGERS !

I shoot a 300 RUM as well could you tell me your load data and do you have an wyatt extended box mag ??

Thanks BigBuck
Old 06-10-2010, 11:27 AM
Platinum Member

Standard rifle, Sendero II
93 gr of rl25 was the load used for 3170 fps or so, Using Brian Litz' method of testing different seating depths for (hunting) accuracy. This is listed in these forums.

I started at the lands (too long for my magazine)
Then I sat them .03 .05 .09 and .130 off the lands.
Very interesting experiment.

.03 group

Both .05 and .09 over 1 inch at 100 yards.

.130 is shown below

So much difference from different seating depths.

Next week I will try the same test but with 95 gr of Retumbo. That yields 3115 fps in my gun.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:04 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the info and pics . this weekend I'm going to try brians loading method . I have just installed a wyatts box mag and I intend on running 90 , 91 ,92 grains of retumbo . did you load six rounds for .03 and six for .05 ? Thats how the sticky says to do it but i thought about just loading 3 rounds for each that way i can try different powder charges and shoot less bullets . The best load for my gun this far has been 87 grains of retumbo nosler custom brass federal 215m primer . It produced a 1 time group that was one clover leaf hole @ 200 yards you could cover all three with a dime . I just want to run the 210's faster .

BigBuck
Old 06-10-2010, 12:47 PM
Platinum Member

I only tried 3 of each for now.
I will take the smallest group from this test and start tweaking it and re-verifying accuracy etc.

Who knows my Retumbo test might be better. I was going to try the test at 200 yards but the 25+ mph winds killed me! Still not too bad for such winds.!!!
Old 06-10-2010, 12:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by POP View Post
I only tried 3 of each for now.
I will take the smallest group from this test and start tweaking it and re-verifying accuracy etc.

Who knows my Retumbo test might be better. I was going to try the test at 200 yards but the 25+ mph winds killed me! Still not too bad for such winds.!!!

25+ winds you've got some good groups !! I was told that retumbo was the go to powder for the 300 Rum and it does seem to work really well in my rifle .

Good shooting .....

BB
Old 06-10-2010, 05:22 PM
Platinum Member

On deer sized animals, you will probably get pass throughs at ALL distances. On elk, probably not thru the shoulders and pass thru is more likely the farther the distance (within reason).......Rich