Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Bergers...good as they claim?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-21-2009, 12:37 AM
Silver Member
re: Bergers...good as they claim?

"They are not the proverbial one stop magic solution IMHO" - I agree with that, but then what is?

If you are hunting mainly in dense bush, where you can't pick your shot and wait, and have many marginal angles (quartering animals), then pick something else.

In other circumstances I highly recommend them.

The VLD's can take some tinkering, but follow the suggestions in the sticky elsewhere and you should find the sweet spot just fine.

I've shot plenty of large tough animals with devestating results.

Gemsbuck (probably 5 or 6), Black Wildebesst (okay, not that large), Hartebeest (not that large either), Blue Wildebeest - really big and REALLY tough, Eland (really really big, if not that tough). But not recommended for Eland!

No exits on any of these on broadside or point of the shoulder on quartering towards shots.

210VLD, 300WM.

What more do you want?