Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Berger VLD vs Nosler AB vs Barnes TTSX for elk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2013, 09:40 AM
Silver Member

Berger VLD vs Nosler AB vs Barnes TTSX for elk

I'm working up a load for my 300 win mag and need some opinions on Berger VLD bullets for elk. I've done some searches and can't find much. I've read on a few other sites that the Bergers tend to come apart when expanding on impact leaving fragments through out the meat.
What is your opinion about 190 grain VLDs compared to Nosler accubonds 180 grain and Barnes TTSX 180 grain from both an accuracy and terminal impact on elk???
Thanks.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:24 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Berger VLD vs Nosler AB vs Barnes TTSX for elk

I have probably shot or been there for the kill of over 60 elk with 190 vld's, 210 vld's, 215 hybrids and 230 hybrid Bergers on elk. Never tracked one, and could count the need for a second shot on one hand. Wish I could say that about the other bullets. These were from distances of 100 yards to well over 1000. From 300 wins, 30-378's, 30-338 Lapua's and others. But mostly 300 wins.

Want to see what they do for yourself? Look at these threads.

19 big game kills with documented terminal pics from my 300 win in this thread from last season.

Comparing the Berger 210 VLD to the 215 Hybrid

230's in a 300 win here with elk results.

Berger 230 and 300 OTM Hybrid terminal results

I trusted them for this bull with 100% confidence.

My 2012 Bull

They work for girls too... my wife has taken all 3 of her elk with Bergers. One at 415 , one at 815 and one at 585 yards. All one shot kills.

Powderpuff Elk Hunt, Diane Scores Again!!

Look at these documented results, then decide if they will work for you. Some prefer what they call a "premium hunting bullet" I prefer a premium killing bullet like Bergers.

Jeff
Old 06-28-2013, 01:38 PM
Platinum Member

Jeff that was a little vague, do you like em or not?
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 06-28-2013, 01:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
Jeff that was a little vague, do you like em or not?
Well,,,,,,,,,, Yeah!

I like to provide adequate real documentation and let the hunter decide for them selves, not what I read or heard somewhere. Any bullet can fail, but so do shooters. So use what you feel will get it done for you in your conditions.

Jeff
Old 06-28-2013, 02:08 PM
Silver Member

They will all kill. Shoot what the gun likes.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Well,,,,,,,,,, Yeah!

I like to provide adequate real documentation and let the hunter decide for them selves, not what I read or heard somewhere. Any bullet can fail, but so do shooters. So use what you feel will get it done for you in your conditions.

Jeff
I'm developing a liking for them myself, after what I saw out my own rifles last year with the classic hunters I figured the 7mm 180gr hybrid was worth a try (backed up by your results) so far they've been pretty hard on the Pdogs, even got some acrobatics going on.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 06-28-2013, 03:27 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
I have probably shot or been there for the kill of over 60 elk with 190 vld's, 210 vld's, 215 hybrids and 230 hybrid Bergers on elk. Never tracked one, and could count the need for a second shot on one hand. Wish I could say that about the other bullets. These were from distances of 100 yards to well over 1000. From 300 wins, 30-378's, 30-338 Lapua's and others. But mostly 300 wins.

Want to see what they do for yourself? Look at these threads.

19 big game kills with documented terminal pics from my 300 win in this thread from last season.

Comparing the Berger 210 VLD to the 215 Hybrid

230's in a 300 win here with elk results.

Berger 230 and 300 OTM Hybrid terminal results

I trusted them for this bull with 100% confidence.

My 2012 Bull

They work for girls too... my wife has taken all 3 of her elk with Bergers. One at 415 , one at 815 and one at 585 yards. All one shot kills.

Powderpuff Elk Hunt, Diane Scores Again!!

Look at these documented results, then decide if they will work for you. Some prefer what they call a "premium hunting bullet" I prefer a premium killing bullet like Bergers.

Jeff
GUDSTUFF love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 10 twist??????