Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Berger used at close range on african plains game

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 02:49 PM

Berger used at close range on african plains game

My wife and I are planning a african plains game hunt. She will be shooting 6.5 creedmore and I will shooting 300rum. I was woundering if anyone has had any experience with them in Africa? How did they work under 150 yards? I was planing on using the 130 vld hunting bullet in the creedmore and was thinking about the 230gr hybrid in the 300rum since it shoots so well but everyone including berger says 230gr won't perfore since it's a target bullet so I guess next would be the 210gr vld hunting bullet.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:11 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Berger used at close range on african plains game

Bob and Chris Beck used them in Africa I believe. Hope they tune in and add info for you. I can offer our experiences with the 230's from this thread.

Berger 230 and 300 OTM Hybrid terminal results

page 5 has an elk from 218 yards with pics of the exit.

Jeff
Old 04-18-2013, 04:27 PM

Thanks for the pictures Broz. Seems like everyone I talk to about this tells me go to the barnes, accubond, or partition. I like the berger preformace just was not sure about those close shoulder shots.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMHUNTER View Post
Seems like everyone I talk to about this tells me go to the barnes, accubond, or partition.
Well, not me... But in the end you need to take what every bullet you have confidence in. And remember, placement is king with any bullet. I know what I would be sending, but that may not be the best choice for you. It should be a personal choice.

If Bob from extreme outer limits does not join in you may want to send him a PM. If I remember correctly they took something like 40 animals in Africa with the 230's, but don't quote me on that. Get it straight from the source with real experience.

Jeff
Old 04-18-2013, 07:08 PM
Gold Member

Have you decided what you will be hunting ? There are laws regarding minimum caliber / energy for the big 5 but the various other species may be more straight forward.

Excluding the big 5, the biggest thing you might be shooting is an Eland. Full grown Eland can weight about double a full grown moose. Drop below an Eland and it is like hunting Moose and Elk down to antelope.

Usually, the shots are taken at fairly close range, but outfitters are starting to cater for long range shooters. Hopefully you have discussed your intentions in detail with your guide, since many have rather a disdain for long range shooting.

Best of luck, and watch out for the bug bites..
Old 04-18-2013, 07:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Bob and Chris Beck used them in Africa I believe. Hope they tune in and add info for you. I can offer our experiences with the 230's from this thread.

Berger 230 and 300 OTM Hybrid terminal results

page 5 has an elk from 218 yards with pics of the exit.

Jeff
Damn dude, that is SOME exit!!!! DRT , I'm sure! If not, it wasnt hard to find! Great job !
Old 04-18-2013, 10:27 PM

we will be shooting kudu on the large size impala on the small size. My ph says long shots are around 250- 300 but we could have close shots at 75. If ultra long range (500+) shot is found he will let me take it.