Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Berger Target VS Hunting Twist Rates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2013, 08:10 PM
Gold Member

Berger Target VS Hunting Twist Rates

So I tried the search feature and came up with nothing.

I have been shooting the Berger Hunting VLDs 168gr in my 7mmRM. I use these for hunting as well as competition. Recently I ordered some TARGET bullets (VLD, same weight etc,) these came in a different color box, which I knew they would. The funny thing is though on my HUNTING VLDs the box says "Recommended for 1:10 twist or faster", but the TARGET VLDs say "Recommended for 1;9 twist or faster".

Why is this?
Old 03-16-2013, 09:26 PM
Gold Member

Re: Berger Target VS Hunting Twist Rates

Good question, sorry I don't have an answer for you, I also shoot the 168 hunting vld's with 1-10 twist. I would be curious to know as well.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:38 PM
Platinum Member

Their website implies both are 10tw
Old 03-17-2013, 09:24 AM
Silver Member

The target bullet is longer than the hunting bullet and needs a faster twist. I was looking at the 168gr 7mm bullets on their site yesterday and the 7mm hunting was 1.35" and the target was 1.45" if I remember correctly.
I just went and checked and the hunting and the target are the same lenght but the hybrid is shorter. I think they changed the recommend twist with more testing.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:58 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinjax View Post
The target bullet is longer than the hunting bullet and needs a faster twist. I was looking at the 168gr 7mm bullets on their site yesterday and the 7mm hunting was 1.35" and the target was 1.45" if I remember correctly.
I just went and checked and the hunting and the target are the same lenght but the hybrid is shorter. I think they changed the recommend twist with more testing.
You had me confused so I went to website to double check, and from what I see there is no change for any of the three designs, recomended twist is still 1-10.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:15 AM
Gold Member

Never order VLD's until you have checked Bergers website for compatibility with your own barrel twist.

Their 6mm 95gr bullets that have a hunting version that is good for 1:10 twist barrels and they have a longer hunting version (same weight) that needs a true 1:9 and sure enough, my savage 1:9.25 could not get to group it accurately. Beware developing hunting loads in summer which may not group in winter because they were "on the edge" stability wise and just a drop in air temperature means it no longer works out. If you use the stability calculator on their website and you are >1.4 for your winter shooting conditions you will be fine.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:59 PM
Platinum Member

The only difference between the Hunting VLD and Target VLD is jacket thickness, the 168gr classic hunter has a nominal length of 1.35" and is a Hybrid design.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe